Has anyone had their husband not approve of their choice to have surgery?

shakeitoff
on 12/2/14 2:48 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Congratulations on the weight loss!  I kept telling myself I would tell him my plan to have surgery after Thanksgiving.  But I am still waiting to get my first appointment with the Dr.  I figure the sooner he knows the sooner  I'll get his opinion and I dont forsee that being in my favor.  I could be wrong.  I have my mom and adult children on board .  I plan to stick to my long term plan to have surgery and lose the weight and get my life back.  He can either smile and enjoy the ride or I'll drag him along kicking and screaming!  lol

perez5
on 12/2/14 7:12 am

I had my surgery 7 yr ago. My husband was not on board with it and still thinks I have done the wrong thing.  I have lost 185 lbs, and feel great. The best gift I gave myself (aside from my 3 children).  I chose to have surgery for health reasons not for vanity reasons.  I dont know why more men are against the surgery then women.  Fear of their spouse dieing, fear that they will leave the marriage, losing their eating partner.

All I can say to you, if you want this, do it for yourself.  My husband will never approve of this and I am ok with this. I attend about 6 support group meeting a month. I have made many friends within these groups.  They understand and support me.

good luck with your journey.

shakeitoff
on 12/3/14 12:18 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Thank you so much for sharing me your story!  My husband complains that i walk to slow i can't get up and down and I don't want to go anywhere.  He doesn't like the row of pills I take either.   He keeps saying do something about it. So here is my plan.  He didnt approve of the lapband I wanted to have so I'm sure he will not approve of gastric sleeve.  I am determined either way with or without his approval I am doing the surgery. I was worried about how i was going to do the self pay but that has been taken care of.  Did your husband support you during your recovery?  did he go with you when you had surgery? even after losing all the weight your husband still doesn't approve?

tawbattle
on 12/3/14 12:34 am
RNY on 08/26/14

I wanted to have the Lap Band and my husband was okay with it. But after talking to my cousin who had RNY, I decided to have that instead and my husband didn't want me to do it.   He was very nervous about what the procedure consisted of and I was too at first.  But we both decided that it was the best option in the end.  

I weighed 366 pounds before surgery so I didn't feel the Lapband would give me the results I want.  I think the sleeve is good option, but RNY will give you the most weight loss overall (according to my surgeon).

shakeitoff
on 12/3/14 1:26 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I'm looking toward the sleeve because there is no dumping syndrome or trouble with absorbing vitamins   When I looked at the amount of weight I could expect to lose for each procedure I saw maybe a 25lb difference.   If I can get  down to 25 lbs it can fight for that.  I have yet to meet with the dr to see what he thinks.  Also I only have enough funds for the sleeve surgery.

tawbattle
on 12/3/14 1:48 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Oh, don't get me wrong. The sleeve is a good option.  I have a cousin that had the sleeve on 10/14 and she's lost about 40 pounds so far, so you'll get great results with it.  

Even though I had RNY, I can honestly say that I haven't had any dumping issues.  I have to take vitamins and B12 everyday to avoid the absorption problems, but my surgeon that vitamins are necessary no matter which procedure you choose.  Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. As far as your husband, it may just be jitters about the surgery in general.  My husband and I were both freaking out before the surgery (lol).  But everything will be fine!