Knee replacement pre-op appt.

Cathy W.
on 11/25/14 12:53 am

I'm scheduled for a knee replacement in December.  My pre-op appointment is tomorrow morning and I'm nervous about it.  It is just a pre-op appointment and I feel this way??  How will I feel during the days leading up to my surgery? 

When I had RNY, I was excited and ready for it.  As they wheeled me into the OR I became a little apprehensive but that was all.  Here with a knee replacement is an entirely different experience with much higher anxiety.  A friend told me that WLS was more of a desperation procedure which helped.  My knee is bone on bone and I've tried everything and my only choice is the knee replacement.  Without the injections and pain meds, I can't even walk a short distance. 

I don't understand why I'm so anxious about this when it is so clear that I need the knee replacement. 

andrea0415
on 11/25/14 4:10 am

Hi Cathy. I had my duodenal switch in Dec 2012 at 360 pounds because my knees were bone on bone and at age 43, we hoped to give me more time. Well, after losing nearly 200 pounds, we decided to do the surgery, as my knee pain was intolerable. I had a bilateral TKA in February 2014 and it was the single best thing I have ever done. I am so angry at myself for not doing this a decade earlier. My quality of life is amazing. 

Oh, and I live alone  i had my mom here for 10 days after surgery  after that, I was on my own. I was even driving!  I returned to work after a month (sedentary job).

Do not be nervous. Be excited!  Think of how much more mobile you will be after surgery. You will be able to climb stairs with ease, take walks without pain, and even stand in line without difficulty. 

You are welcome to contact me directly if you want to discuss anything further.   You will be fine.

Slackerace [at] gmail.com

good luck! 

Andrea

Cathy W.
on 11/25/14 8:55 am

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your reply.  I feel much better after reading your experience and how I'll feel being able to walk without pain. 

Thank you for your support and offer to contact you. 

Best regards, Cathy

56sunShine14
on 11/26/14 1:21 am

Cathy, you already know I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!  Please know this post is meant to make you laugh, not get more worried.

It is perfectly normal to feel this way.  WLS, altho it is major surgery, just isn't as major in our minds when looking at having your knee ripped out and a big, honking metal thing put in it's place.  I mean...have you SEEN the thing?? ;)  It looks HUGE! 

Just trying to make you smile.  I was so giddy about getting my knee done, both times, that I wasn't nervous at all. In fact, the surgeon was happy when I asked him to show me his pics of someone's knee surgery.  They were gross but I got to see exactly what was going to happen. I also went online to watch the surgery.  It took the fear away, Cathy.  This is the message I am giving you.  Do not be afraid!  It is the best decision, aside from WLS, that you could make to improve your life.

If I could not make you smile and feel just a tiny bit better, I am so very sorry.  My true intent is to lighten the load of worry.  When you are thru it and recovering, you will become so happy about your decision.

So, now it is "tomorrow".  How did the appointment go?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cathy W.
on 11/26/14 4:49 am

Hi 56sunShine14,

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your reply and support. 

My pre-op appointment went very well.  I met with the hospitalist, a couple of the nurses and a physical therapist.  They were nice and very thorough about the entire process.   Between meeting with each of them separately, there was lots of information to take in.  My husband came which helped for two sets of ears to hear everything.  Going to the appointment today made me feel better and much less worried. 

I have to go in one more time a couple of days before the surgery date for a couple of tests but no big deal.  After the appointment today and all the information other OH members have shared with me, I'm ready to go get my new knee. 

Thanks again! 

56sunShine14
on 11/26/14 12:36 pm

Good for you!!   Let us know when the date is.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen