Saying goodbye to an old friend

Cathy W.
on 11/25/14 12:35 am

Ditto to what other members have replied back to you. 

I was a Diet Dr. Pepper lover.  I couldn't imagine giving it up forever so I made the decision to stop for six months post-op while I healed from my surgery and adjusted to WLS.  I tried drinking it a few times and didn't like it anymore.  It made me feel bloated and I lost the love (taste). 

Another thing, don't look at the things you're giving up.....focus on what you're getting which is health.  Sodas and diet sodas are really nothing more than chemical drinks. 

gmantek
on 11/25/14 1:06 am

I felt like this also, about Diet Coke especially!  The funny thing that I didn't expect in a million years is that I have never once craved a diet coke.  I was truly at least a 2x per day drinker, now it sits in the fridge for my husband and I've never once wanted to drink one.  You will surprise yourself at how many things change after surgery. 

Like the others said, nothing is off limits for the rest of your life.  It's about making good choices.  When I reach goal, I hope that I can add some favorites back into my life in moderation.  Moderation being the key word.  Good luck and don't worry about the diet coke:)

Kate -True Brit
on 11/25/14 1:32 am - UK

I didn't give up anything for life. I rarely drink diet coke because I am not a fan but if there is nothing else on iffer and I don't feel like water, I drink diet coke. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

dragonlove
on 11/25/14 1:54 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I also haven't given up sodas entirely.  I have them occasionally, but I have found that I no longer like them with full carbonation!  Surprise - I used to really hate them and toss them as soon as they lost even a little fizz.  Now, I can't drink out of the can or I feel uncomfortable - when I have them, I pour into a glass and stir with a straw for a bit.

Give it time and later you may find your tastes have changed so much from now.

In any case, it is sad to say bye to your favorites - even if you can eat them later, you are still saying goodbye to the overstuffing yourself!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

MsBatt
on 11/25/14 5:05 am

Don't think of it as saying goodbye to a friend---think of it like your friend is going on a long, long trip, so you won't be seeing them for a while.

I've never liked any diet sodas, but I used to be a stone-cold Coke Classic addict. I gave it up cold turkey the day I got my surgery date. My 'friend' Coke Classic went on a long, long trip, and we didn't meet again for about 6 months.

During that time, we grew apart, Coke and I. Oh, we still enjoy one another's company from time to time, but we don't hang out together all day, every day, like pre-op. We just have lunch together  occasionally. (*grin*)

Lisarn1
on 11/25/14 5:50 am - Raleigh, NC

LOL! I love how your relationship with Coke has become an easy long distance friendship.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs