Brusing, brusing, brusing..

mrmossis
on 11/23/14 12:55 pm - LA

I have had the ds, and since them, my forearms bruise like crazy....like the 80 year old and above bruise.  I am taking biotin, patch for multi vitamins, and patch for calcium and magnesium.  Dr poo poos it, but that is not acceptable.  I also take krill oil, cymbalta, red yeast rice powder..my hair is also much thinner...,this surgery, the last part as they did it in 2 parts, was 3 years ago.  I have lost almost 230 lbs, and am very satisified with the weight loss...hate the hair loss and the bruising, and drs. say they tested everything, just cant find the cause.  Any help appreciated

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 1:12 pm, edited 11/23/14 1:12 pm - OH

Has your doctor tested your Vitamin K level?  Some doctors don't test it for some reason, but it is one of the vitamins that you don't absorb well, so they should test for it.  It is possible that your level is below normal, and Vit K is a key component in blood clotting.

How much Vitamin C are you taking?  That's not usually something doctors test for, but low levels can cause excessive bruising.  You can start taking some additional Vit C and see if the bruising improves. 

Some bruising is common, though, after weight loss because you have lost the fat padding around the veins and capillaries and they are more exposed and therefore more likely to get injured. This often resolves somewhat over time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 11/23/14 9:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

With as far out as you are, especially since you're losing hair again - I'd be looking to malnutrition.  K and protein come to mind for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 11/23/14 11:43 pm

Here's a tip---if you'll put your surgery date, type, and surgeon's name on your profile, it will show up each time you post. This is info that will really help us help you.

Are you not taking any Vitamin D, Vitamin A, or magnesium??? Have you been tested for those? I suspect you've got some seriously low levels on some vital nutrients.

I strongly urge you to post over on the DS board, and to reach out to some of the DS-centered FB groups for vitamin advice. Sadly, most surgeons don't know diddly when it comes to the true nutritional needs of post-WLS patients, especially DSers.