Hospital stay?

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/14 7:24 am

Do hospitals allow someone to stay with you overnight for the time you are there? I'm really nervous about being alone overnight because I have terrible anxiety. 

Thebiggestloser
on 11/25/14 8:12 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Yes - most allow one overnight guest 

MickeyDee
on 11/25/14 8:21 am

They'll be happy to provide you with a sleep aid which will keep you from worrying about being alone!

poet_kelly
on 11/25/14 8:52 am - OH

As long as you are in a private room, they usually do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kathkeb
on 11/25/14 9:01 am

You should ask -- my hospital has 24-hour visiting -- and chairs next to each bedside.

Your 'guest' may not be comfortable, but they will probably be allowed to stay.

Some places have nice recliners that make the extra person able to get some sleep -- but don't expect that in a hospital that anyone who is unmedicated is going to get a good night's sleep.

Personally, I had an out-patient procedure, but if I were going to be in overnight, I would have my ipod available to calm myself and entertain myself if I could not sleep.

Best of luck!!

Kath

Judi2
on 11/25/14 10:50 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I would think so. My hospital has Murphy beds in each room and encourage family/friend to stay with the patient. They say it promotes a quicker recovery.

Valerie G.
on 11/25/14 11:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You are never alone.  The nurses wake you up hourly to check this and that, take your vitals, etc. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Trouble1391011
on 11/26/14 4:28 am

I shared a room with another WLS patient that had her surgery the same day as me and my husband was allowed to stay with me in the bed/chair thing they had (I have really bad anxiety about being in a strange place without him).  I am pretty sure he slept some of the night in the main waiting room cause I was in and out of it while we were there.

Deana_
on 11/26/14 8:11 am

In my hospital we each get our own private room. We don't share with other patients. There is a tv and room for someone to sleep and bathroom with shower. I'm sure someone can stay with you 

Vicki PNW
on 11/26/14 9:10 am

My hospital allowed one overnight visitor, and a recliner/bed combo was provided in the room.  Visitors could request pillows and blankets.  All the rooms in the hospital are private.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.