Post Op... Several Complications, Surgery didnt tun out the way I thought.

StephClasen
on 11/24/14 6:43 am - Wichita, KS

I had a RNY with Dr. Hoehn on October 13th of 2014. I have been in and out of the ER and hospitalized. The first issue I had was incredible pain and discomfort at and around the drain site. I went in for my followup with PA and expressed the pain along with the issues of not being able to keep liquids and foods down. He scheduled me for my 2 month visit. That Sunday I ended up in the ER in Wichita where I live. Through a CT scan they found a hematoma the size of a football. We transported from Wichita to Shawnee Mission in KC. Without my knowledge I was transferred to Dr. Aragon. It was the best decision as Dr. Aragon is incredible! I stayed in the hospital for multiple days as they put a new drain in. Upon my return home I have been unable to keep food or liquid down. It has been 42 days and this is not what I expected. Has anyone else had these types of issues? I am feeling defeated with incredible fatigue.

Member Services
on 11/24/14 6:50 am - Irvine, CA

We are so sorry to hear all you have been through.  We are here for you    Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Eggface
on 11/24/14 7:14 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Glad they were able to find the source of your pain and treat it. I had no complications and it was about 7 weeks till I felt not like a patient, drained, blah, blue and you had some post-op issues, the added stress, not as much nutrients, that takes its toll. Sending you good wishes... hopefully this will be just a bump in an otherwise smooth journey.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MickeyDee
on 11/24/14 8:28 am

I've not heard of people with post-op complications like not being able to keep food or liquids down unless it was due to a stricture.  Have you approached your surgeon with this question?  

It is not uncommon for a stoma to heal smaller which restricts flow out of the pouch, but this can easily be fixed by a balloon procedure which is done under a light anesthesia, and the balloon stretches the stoma again.  It might have to be repeated, but usually is successful the first time.

You're fortunate in finding a surgeon you have confidence in.  Don't be afraid to talk to him.

Cathy W.
on 11/25/14 12:42 am

I'm glad you found a doctor that you like and have confidence in.  Since you're still not feeling well, and continue to have issues keeping food and liquid down, call Dr. Aragon.

Hang in there.