Medical Bracelet

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/24/14 12:45 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I would think that the bracelet is to just inform the emt as to what else is wrong with you, & take that info into account when trying to save your life. Does anyone know from an emt point of view that if they need to give you an aspirin to save your life at that particular moment that they'll look at your bracelet & say oh well can't do that, or give it to you anyway?

I'm a diabetic & I have a med id bracelet & it says right on top diabetic, right along with my meds. I'd think the bracelet would have the same kind of info. I.E rny patient listed right on top so even if it said no nsaids, the emt would know that he can give you an aspirin to stop you from having a heart attack.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kate -True Brit
on 11/24/14 1:58 am - UK

I have been told by paramedics and emergency doctor friends that in an emergency they will ignore anything in a medic-alert bracelet except things like the person being on anti-coagulants or having severe allergies. If it is a question of life-saving - that takes priority. For example, I am banded. Forcing a tube down to drain blood from my abdomen would be possible but might cause severe tissue damage. But they might just have saved my life! Tissue damage is unimportant.  They would definitely give aspirin if that were needed.

So what should be on a bracelet is information which, if you were unconscious, might prevent the emergency team doing anything which might make the situation worse. Weight loss surgery probably does not fall into that category. Having said that, there may be things I don't know about surgeries other than the one I have which DO fall into that category. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/24/14 2:06 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

That makes sense. I figured saving your life takes priority over whatever your bracelet says, just as long as they don't make you worse.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Needanewbeginning
on 11/24/14 3:17 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I totally agree, medical bracelets are not necessary for us. I have one because of a previous issue. I actually just got home from my plastic surgery and while I was in the Drs and nurse commented on my bracelet. I do not have RNY or no NSAIDs on mine. 

Truly, if your having a heart attack, your getting ASA whether it says no NSAIDs or not. Blind tubing, doesn't happen unless your unconscious and postop, your healed enough to have a bling tube anyway. 

I do like Laurinshope bracelets they are very nice, but don't feel you have to have one for your wls. Other health issues, absolutely you should.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs