Medical Bracelet

Deana_
on 11/23/14 11:05 am

I was reading an article about how people who have gotten RNY should wear a medical bracelet.

I found a really great website that sells fashionable medical bracelets and necklaces.

Laurenshope.com

I will be ordering one :) better safe then sorry!

GSTRIC BYPASS 

If you have had gastric bypass surgery or lap band surgery it is important to wear a medical ID bracelet to alert emergency technicians that you cannot have a blind NG tube inserted. Here is what we recommend for gastric bypass patients. 

Jane Doe
Gastric ByPass 1/12 (month and year of your surgery) 
No Blind NG Tube
No NSAIDS/ No Sugars
Dr. 555-555-1212

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 12:39 pm - OH

There have been lots of discussions here about the "need" for a medical alert ID after Roux-en-Y.  Many surgeons (including mine) say that unless you have other conditions that EMTs would need to be aware of, it really isn't necessary.  If you use the search function here, you can read some of those discussions of the pros and cons.

The biggest concern is with the "no NSAIDs" entry. If you're having a heart attack, then you probably DO want them to give you aspirin. If my choices are 1) potentially dying from a heart attack (or doing additional damage) because of not being given aspirin or 2) assuming the very small risk of getting an ulcer from a single dose of aspirin, I'll risk the ulcer!

It is also very unlikely that if you're unable to speak for yourself, there would be a need to put in an NG tube. A breathing tube is a definite possibiliy, but probably not a tube into your stomach/pouch.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/23/14 4:37 pm - UK

As Lora says. If you are so badly injured/ill that you are unable to speak, the medics will do whatever it takes to keep you alive. So aspirin in case of a heart attack or stroke is more important than any NSAID rule and if you need a tube for breathing or to drain abdominal bleeding, that is to save your life.  I carry a small card in my purse with a picture of my surgery but that s simp,y be ause I travel a lot in countries where I don't speak the language. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 11/23/14 11:51 pm

I agree with Lora and Kate. These are rather silly rules, since EMTs are concerned with keeping you ALIVE. They' not giving you NSAIDs because you have a headache, or sugar because you look hungry---they're doing it because at that moment, you NEED those things.

I don't know much about NG tubes, but the only time I've ever had one they did it 'blind', in the ER, with me fully conscious and 'helping' by trying to swallow the thing. It saved me from having to have surgery, so I'm very glad they did it.

Deana_
on 11/24/14 12:05 am

Nothing I have stated is "silly". 

Someone might want this information, or a bracelet. I was merely giving the information for the lovely website I have found.

There are people on this forum with other conditions than having a RNY or Bariatric surgery that might be interested in this information. Such as allergies, etc. 

At the end of the day, its better safe then sorry. If i am in a situation where I am able to speak for myself.. no big deal obviously I can tell them to give me an NSAID or any other information they need. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/14 12:12 am - OH

Well, in all fairness, the bulk of your post was the information from YOUR surgeon about the "need" for a medical ID.  The mention of the website seemed to be more of an afterthought.

I have three different medical ID bracelets (because I take an anticoagulant), and two of them are from Lauren's Hope, so I agree that they have some nice ones.  They are really expensive, though.

As far as telling the EMTs to go ahead and give you something, chances are that if you are having a heart attack, for example, you may not think to tell them to ignore what is on your medical ID.  I know that during my kidney stone attacks, it has been VERY difficult to focus in things like that.

Lora

MsBatt
on 11/24/14 7:04 am
On November 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM Pacific Time, Deana_ wrote:

Nothing I have stated is "silly". 

Someone might want this information, or a bracelet. I was merely giving the information for the lovely website I have found.

There are people on this forum with other conditions than having a RNY or Bariatric surgery that might be interested in this information. Such as allergies, etc. 

At the end of the day, its better safe then sorry. If i am in a situation where I am able to speak for myself.. no big deal obviously I can tell them to give me an NSAID or any other information they need. 

Don't take offense because I said the "No NSAIDs/no NG tube/no sugars" rules are silly. I wasn't attacking YOU, and ---well, they ARE silly. And rather pointless.

Medical alert bracelets are for serious conditions, like anti-coagulants, extreme allergies, diabetes, heart conditions, pacemakers, and the like. They're not for minor things like "I might someday get an ulcer if you give me an emergency dose of aspirin" or "Oral sugar (which they're not going to be giving you if you're unconscious!) might make me dump."

Yes, I'm sure there are people one here who have a legitimate need for a medical alert bracelet, and it's nice of you to offer the info about the website.

Karen M.
on 11/24/14 7:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

As someone with a "No NSAID/No NG tube/no sugars" lifestyle, it IS silly. Please give me any lifesaving doses of any drug at ALL should I need it, no prior permission necessary! ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Deana_
on 11/24/14 12:18 am

That information was from laurenshope.com not my surgeon.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/14 2:51 am - OH

Ah, so marketing hype...