VSG and diarrhea

cochranac
on 11/23/14 6:03 am

I had my VSG weightloss surgery 11/14/2011. Every since I have had the surgery I have diarrhea everyday. The only thing I can eat that does not go straight through me is anything Potato related or breads. I can eat black eyed peas and 10 minutes later off to the bathroom I go. Is this normal? Does anyone else this far out from surgery experience this as well? This can not be good for my body and it makes me feel defeated from eating. My whole day revolves around what I can and can not eat due to having to run to the bathroom! HELP with advise!!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/23/14 6:49 am
VSG on 01/11/16

You've had loose stools every day for 3 years? Does you Dr. know.. what does he or she say? or it that a typo and you meant 11/14/14? 

cochranac
on 11/23/14 7:13 am

Not a typo you read correctly. I can think of a few times where it was normal or I was constipated:( I know I need to talk with my doctor just wanted to see if this is a common long term side effect before I did.

Valerie G.
on 11/23/14 11:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This is definitely not common.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/14 12:18 pm - OH

You definitely need to see your doctor!  (Why in the world have you put up with diarrhea for three years?!?)

There is nothing about the sleeve that changes your digestion of food (all they did was make your stomach smaller), so even having daily diarrhea for 3 months would not be normal, let alone three years! 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/23/14 3:05 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Let me understand this. You have not been to a follow up appointment or had your labs drawn or just been to the doctor for a cold or a flu in three years?? You have not seen or talked to a medical professional since your surgery? If you have seen a nurse, a doctor, any medical worker, surely their first question to you would have been "how are you feeling?" Its sort of what they always want to know. And you didn't mention anything about having persistent diarrhea?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kate -True Brit
on 11/23/14 4:32 pm - UK

Diarrhoea for three years? You should have been consulting your doctor after three weeks! Not only is it not normal, it could also lead to severe dehydration and malnutrition. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 11/23/14 11:51 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It's a shame when people don't contact their doctors when they are experiencing medical problems.  Wait three years and then post on a forum instead of picking up the phone to call a doctor?  

What do you expect people to say?  It's normal?  Take Imodium?  How about:  CALL YOUR DOCTOR AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.  We are not medical professionals. And I don't think anyone here has suffered diarrhea daily for three years -- because they would have called their doctors after a week or so of daily diarrhea.

Something SMELLS here.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

cochranac
on 11/24/14 12:13 am

Oh wow at the criticism on here. I was just seeking answers from fellow sleevers who may experience this after certain foods such as high in sugar, greasy etc. I did not ask for any of you people to be so ugly about WHAT I should do. I have had labs done in the last 3 years, And all shows fine. I am keeping food journals to see if there is a culprit here that may cause it. And yes common sense will tell me to discuss with my doctor as I have. I just wanted to see if there were certain foods that may trigger this for others. Wow just Wow!😒 

Kate -True Brit
on 11/24/14 1:44 am - UK

No-one intends to be nasty. Everyone is just making the point that three years of diarrhoea is abnormal and needs investigation. It is very difficult to understand why you have waited three years to become concerned. You dud not say in your original post that  it was only certain foods. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,