Newbie and Family Support Question

JosiePNP
on 11/23/14 1:33 am

Thats a great suggestion- however, they live in Florida (lucky them- it is probably 70something degree and Sunny there) and Im in Pennsylvania.. :(

So it makes it hard to articulate things to them because I get frustrated that they dont think its a good idea.

Josie Schreder-Guhl

poet_kelly
on 11/23/14 1:34 am - OH

Well, it's not necessary for them to think it's a good idea.  If they will be supportive anyway, maybe that's enough.  But your dad knows how to research medical things if he wants to do so.  So he can learn more if he is interested in doing that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 11/24/14 12:13 am

Can you get either or, even better, both of them involved in some on-line WLS FB groups or message boards like this? (Sounds like your mom would be a great candidate for a DS. Perhaps you as well, since you know you have metabolic problems.)

JosiePNP
on 11/22/14 11:21 pm

You all are so helpful! Thank you!!!

Josie Schreder-Guhl

Valerie G.
on 11/23/14 2:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 9 years out from the duodenal switch.  Of the 145 lbs lost, I regained only 20lbs and quite content with that.  I can tell you of my own experience that I've lived the 'lifestyle' since puberty and my weight continued despite my best efforts.  I eat more today than I ever did BEFORE my DS.  My body no longer fights me back.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sasny
on 11/23/14 11:50 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

Few quick thoughts:

1) I had VSG surgery almost three years ago and think it was one of the best decisions of my life.

2) I too was concerned about post op life style.  I'm not talking about right after surgery but within a few months I was very pleased with my new life.  It's very liberating to be happy and content with small portions.  I love going out to eat and being happy picking and not looking at menus trying to pick the dish with the largest portions.  It's very possible to have an active social life.  And for me it's possible to eat small amounts but not so small that people would know I had surgery.  I just order wisely - often appetizers instead of entrees - and I never finish anything.  I've become the girl who leaves things over.

3) One of the key things people don't discuss when evaluating the surgery is maintenance.  They just think about weight loss.  For some weight loss is really hard and for some people they can follow a diet for a time period and have success losing.  There are many YoYo dieters that have lost 100 lbs more than once.  But I think over 90% of people who lose weight wind up gaining it back.  With WLS you have a fighting chance of keeping it off.  I'm almost three years out and have lost 70 lbs and still am 20 I lbs from goal and not sure if I will ever get there.  But a gigantic win for me is that I weigh today within 1 lb of what I weighed on this date 2 YEARS AGO.  Never before have I gone years weighing the same.  And I feel confident with diligen****ching I can stay at this weight.  Every change of seasons it is so nice fitting into what I wore last year.

Good luck with your decision.