HELP-Life without my band

kesiling
on 11/21/14 1:38 pm - Eatontown, NJ

I ate only liquids and it took forever to digest. I lost 164 lbs on the band prior to this issue without a problem. I did have it checked. It was the summer it always got tighter. They emptied it. A bit more got through but not enough. My dr said I would be in constant  pain if it slipped not just when I ate. Finally, he ordered a upper Gi to rule it out which took a while to get an app for an insurance covered spot.  The dr was shocked as well that is had fallen to the bottom of my stomach, but we all so the X-rays 

As for assumption that I am not educated on the band but I researched my choice for a year's. So I am well aware of the issues that could arise. I made it part of my plan of eating healthy and going to the gym. And I exceeded everyone expectations on it. I was just asking help for those living without bands and have been successful. I plan on continuing to be successful, but any positive advice is appreciated.

"Pain is Weakness leaving the body"  "keep up the good work"

Banded 8/18/10 emergency removal 11/13/14  Goal is 150 with slippage got to 115 (scary thin)     

Zee Starrlite
on 11/21/14 2:17 pm, edited 11/21/14 2:18 pm

Just saying the newer education is that they (AGB's) are failing and hoping that if you will read around you will not consider another band.

Without fluid in my band I had zero restriction and gained weight immediately no matter what I did nor how I tried.  I was freaked out.  It was like I was on this bad rollercoaster ride and couldn't get off.  6 months after the complete unfill I had my band removed and just stayed without a revision for 6 months.  I struggled too bad. I was so embarrassed by my gain that I began hiding from people and family gatherings.  I eventually stabled at a weight that felt so fat to me.  Nothing could possibly fit me.  I was in 6's - 8's. prior. 

Deciding to sleeve was a decision I just could not make peacefully.  But I did it because nothing else worked no matter how hard I tried.  I've never gotten "skinny" again but I ain't so bad😉 and continue to work on it. I love being sleeved.

You need support like WW, TOPS, OA, FAA, OA Greysheet, private support group etc.  Lots of motivation on YouTube.  Keep accountable by writing or logging everything you eat.  And weigh yourself at least 1x per week. Moving your body is a must!!!

All best,

LLayla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

kesiling
on 11/26/14 12:50 am - Eatontown, NJ

Thank you Layla for explaining further.  I am not considering another band. I have heard they don't necessarily work the second time around.  

I am going without any surgery at this time because my Dr doesn't think I need it and I am at a good weight. I am worried because my eating habits were great for the first 3 years, but the last year when eating became more and more challenging, i was eating my "slippery" foods.  but funny because I had to live on them, I don't want them every again. I have continued to work out religiously which is a huge help.  My doctor has also given me a suppressant in case I feel I need it, but I am not using it.  I am working on listening to my body and having a support team. I have also been using my fitness pal to monitor my eating.

Hence I am less scared, but I am sure I am not alone with the fear that it will return. We have all lost and gain back. I am working on breaking the cycle and not being obsessed. 

Thanks again everyone!

"Pain is Weakness leaving the body"  "keep up the good work"

Banded 8/18/10 emergency removal 11/13/14  Goal is 150 with slippage got to 115 (scary thin)