How do you know for sure surgery is for you?

Vad1988
on 11/20/14 1:36 am

I'm 26 and have been overweight all my life. I've recently discovered I have fatty liver and high cholesterol which at my age is pretty scary. That's what made me take the step and look into gastric sleeve surgery. I have a daughter that needs me and I want to be here for her, be a better mom, and set a good example. But as I researched and read more about the sleeve I've become kinda scared and wonder if I'm doing the right thing for me. Am I going to be able to keep up the lifestyle necessary for the next 50+ years of my life? How will this affect me when I'm 70? What if they come out with something in the future where I won't have to to loose half my stomach or deal with the side effects of a surgery? These are all things I am asking myself.  Although, I am fortunate enough where my insurance will pay 100% right now and I will be loosing this insurance next year. I know that I've tried everything I can and this is the only way I feel I will become healthy, and I want to start living not just existing. I want to start nursing school, which I know loosing weight will help me be better at my job, be a better mom, and wife. I'm not sure if I'm just scared of the huge change and fear of the unknown or if this really isn't right for me. Has anyone else had feelings like this? I'm really struggling with this. 

Jill724
on 11/20/14 2:23 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I wondered the same exact thing..... Is this the right decision?? Isn't it okay to just be fat? Have I tried everything? What if I die on the table? What if I have all sorts of horrible complications? Will I ever eat anything good again? Will I look older if I am skinny? Will my skin get so loose that I look like a freak? LOL!!! I questioned everything!!!

Having said this... It was the best decision I have ever made. I am just shy of 4 months out and have dropped 66 pounds as of this morning. I feel sooo much better! My only advice to you is have FAITH. What is meant to be will be... this is seriously what got me through all these crazy questions running through my head! 

I wish only the best for you!!

Poodlemac
on 11/20/14 11:58 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Perfectly stated. We were all scared or in question of our decision. I put my faith in God that Id have the surgery if it was his plan. I'm so glad I did. I'm 7 weeks out and already feel so much better about life. I want to run/jog, which I did when I was younger. I have much more energy.  I have been SO HAPPY since my surgery. I find myself smiling all the time. My ONLY regret is not having done it 20 years ago. 

Mary Gee
on 11/20/14 2:26 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

We all had doubts in the beginning.  Keep reading and researching.

How many diets have you been on in the past?  After you lost the weight, did you keep it off?  What makes you think another diet is the solution?  What will be "different" this time?

What about your health?  Losing weight will solve many problems, and prevent others from occurring.  I ended up in a wheelchair before I had surgery.  What does your weight prevent you from doing?  Do you have the energy to do day-to-day chores, and to keep up with your family?

We don't generally wake up one day and say "I'm going to have Weight Loss Surgery".  It's something that you have to think about, and learn about before coming to the conclusion as to whether or not it's right for you.  One comment post-ops generally have is "I wish I did this years ago!"

So take your time and read, read, and read some more.  Good luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/14 3:06 am

I had my surgery when I was 48... I wish I could have VSG when I was 26... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Han Shot First
on 11/20/14 10:14 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  And it shouldn't be something to take lightly.  Even though I'm only 6 1/2 weeks out, I wish I would've done it sooner.  When I was 26, I weighed about 330 lbs.  13 years later, I weighed 350 lbs.  Knowing now that the weight wasn't going to go away, I wish I would've had it done back then, but I know I never would've been able to convince 26 year old me that I couldn't just diet and exercise and have it done with.  Only after many failures did I finally accept that I need this tool.  

However, I didn't find out I was diabeti****il I was 28.  If I would've realized how much this surgery would help with that, I would've had it done then.  In my opinion, the comorbidities change everything.  I still wonder if I made a mistake waiting as long as I have to get this done, but I'm hoping I'm still young enough (I'm 39) that I'll be able to get a huge benefit.  I was told this could add 13 years to my life.  That's 13 more years with my daughter and wife!  

Do you lose your insurance on January 1st?  Unfortunately, if you are, there may not be enough time to actually get this surgery done.  I needed six months of visits with a nutritionist before my insurance would approve the surgery, and this seems to be pretty common.  But not all insurances require this.  If you haven't yet, contact them and ask about their requirements.  The decision may already be made for you.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/14 11:12 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I asked myself: What are the side effects of being super morbidly obese?

I mean, would I even live to 70 at 344 pounds?  Do you see a lot of super morbidly obese people in their 70's, 80's and 90's?  And, if you do, are they mobile and productive?

I was already experiencing the devastating health consequences of being fat.  I had recently become an insulin dependent diabetic, had high blood pressure, fatty liver, sleep apnea, and neuropathy in my feet.  All of those things could kill me.  

My son means everything to me.  Was I going to be lying on my deathbed one day with my son asking me why I didn't love him enough to do whatever it took to be with him as long as possible?  Did I love him enough to have the courage to do what had to be done to increase the chances of a longer lifespan?  

I can't promise that I will live to be 100 --  but I can tell you this: I have been released from the prison of obesity.  I no longer have any of the co-morbidities that I had at 344 pounds.  None.  No insulin.  No apnea.  No fatty liver.  NADA.  

But, let me share with you what I DO have.  I have the ability to fit in a booth at any restaurant.  I can buy clothes in any store.  I can walk with my son for miles and miles while he rattles off stories about his day.  I can fly in ONE seat and put the tray table down.  My husband can pick me up and carry me over the threshold on our anniversary.  I can ride all the roller coasters with my little boy holding my hand.  His little hands can touch when he hugs me. I think those effects will comfort me when I blow out the candles on my 70th birthday cake.

Change is scary.

My only regret is that I didn't do make the change sooner.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 11/21/14 3:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's the whole ball of wax right there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MsBatt
on 11/21/14 5:04 am

You don't say how much weight you need to lose, or what your BMI is, but you do say you've been overweight all your life. I assume you've made some serious attempts to get your excess weight off through traditional diet and exercise, and have either failed to lose or have regained what you did lose.

You're 26, and ALREADY have fatty liver disease and high cholesterol, so I'm going to assume your BMI is at least 40. (For most insurance companies, your BMI must be at least 35 if you have two or more co-morbs, at least 40 if you don't.) What other co-morbs are you likely to develop if you DON'T take serious measures now? (Think about your family history here.)

Only YOU know if you're likely to be able to stick to the 'rules' of WLS for the next 50 years, but I think you already know you can't stick to a traditional diet for that long. (Don't feel bad---none of the rest of us could, either.) But do not doubt that no form of WLS will be successful long-term if you DON'T stick to the rules, at least 90% of the time.

There are basically four forms of WLS currently being performed---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Each has its own set of rules, and they differ quite a bit. Before you make your final decision, research them ALL, and pick the one with the rules you're most likely to be able to stick to for the rest of your life.

How will this affect youo when you're 70? What if they DO come up with something better in the future? At your age, I'm pretty darn sure they WILL come up with something better during your lifetime. The question is, if you don't have WLS now, will you be around to see it?

I was 45 when I had my DS, and I was told that unless I did something drastic, I probably wouldn't live to be 50. I'm almost 57 now, and I have a very good chance of living to be 80. I'm optimistic enough to believe that the major way my DS will affect me when I'm 70 is to make me healthier and happier than I would be without it, if I had even managed to see 70 without it.

BUT---don't rush into WLS without giving it a LOT of thought. It WILL change your life permanently. Hopefully all those changes will be good ones, but you need to understand that complications are possible. You need to weigh the risks and the benefits BEFORE you go under the knife. You WILL have to make some changes, and the more you can educate yourself about all the different forms of WLS, all the possible complications and side effects, all the 'rules', the more likely you are to be successful long-term.