Approval for surgery

Oliviawashere
on 11/18/14 6:37 am

YAY, so I got a call the other day from my surgeons office that I was approved for Surgery! So happy about this, but was wondering if after they called and told you, you were approved to anyone get this in writing from your insurance company. I always second guess things, and like to have it right in front of my face instead of verbally! Now, I just have to fullfill a few more requirments from my actual surgeon, then I am on my way to the losers bench! =) So many hoops, but all for the better!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/18/14 8:16 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Your insurance company should send you a letter that you've been approved for WL surgery.  Make sure you get it and don't rely on what someone at your surgeon's office tells you.  You can call your insurance company yourself to verify the information.

I think it's very prudent of you to be cautious because there are some people who aren't, and get a big bill in the mail later.   Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Member Services
on 11/18/14 10:15 am - Irvine, CA

We are doing the Happy Dance for you!  Please keep us posted on your journey!

Racewalker48
on 11/18/14 12:15 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I received a letter from my insurance company shortly after the verbal approval was received from my surgeon's office.  It never hurts to have it in hand.

kathkeb
on 11/18/14 12:32 pm

We just had someone here last week who was upset because her doctors office told her she was approved, she went through a bunch of pre op tests and then found out that her insurance does not even cover bariatric treatments.

Make sure you get a letter from YOUR insurance company with approval and keep copies of everything you can.

It sounds like you are on your way, congratulations.  I hope it is smooth sailing from here on out for you.

Kath

Cathy W.
on 11/18/14 10:36 pm

Make sure you get the letter from your insurance company.  There was another member last week that went through all the hoops of pre-op testing only to find out it wasn't covered.  Thankfully, she had it in writing from her insurance company.  Members replying to her encouraged her to contact a WLS appeals attorney.  I don't know the results but since she has it in writing, my bet is that she'll be in good shape. 

Your instinct to second guess this is a good thing.  Get in writing.  Congrats on your surgery approval!