Not Losing!

CRoss6
on 11/19/14 11:23 pm - Jerseyville, IL

I had the gastric sleeve on October 13th.  I am down a total of 44 pounds including what I lost pre-surgery.  My problem is I have all but stopped losing!  I will come down a couple of pounds and then right back up!  I am not eating very much - I would say way under 1000 calories a day since I have been able to eat some solid foods.  Monday will be 6 weeks out.  I am getting very worried and very bummed.  Any ideas?

Cathy W.
on 11/20/14 12:25 am

Keep following your surgeon/nutritionist's food guidelines.  Around the 5-8 weeks post-op time it is common to have a plateau.  Your body needs time to adjust to the weight loss pre-op, the surgery procedure itself and the loss you've had post-op.  Don't worry, your weight loss will continue as long as you follow the food guidelines given to you.  Make sure to get in 64 oz. of water too.

Don't weigh yourself so often if you're getting frustrated.  Focus on how much better physically you feel.

CRoss6
on 11/20/14 1:13 am - Jerseyville, IL

Thanks Cathy for your quick reply.  I think I am just in a bit of a panic because I know all eyes are on me since I had the surgery.  You know everyone is looking to see my results. 

Cathy W.
on 11/20/14 1:25 am

Don't let the pressure from other people impact you.  You are doing this for YOU and YOUR health.  Focus on yourself.  They'll see the results as they come naturally so don't worry about other people.  It isn't about anyone else except you. 

Something else that helped me was to look long-term rather than the numbers on the scale each day or week.  As long as you  keep doing what you've been doing, this time next year you'll be enjoying the good health and weight loss from your surgery. 

danixbanani
on 11/20/14 1:09 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12

It sounds like you're right on track.  44lbs is nothing to scoff at!  As the previous poster said, it is natural for your body to plateau around this time.  You'll jump start the losing again soon but beware, it gets harder to lose the further out you get.  Stay diligent. 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Valerie G.
on 11/20/14 3:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This will occur several times while you're losing.  Think of it as your body catching up and stablizing after such a rapid drop.  One good thing I discovered during those periods is that I'd dropped a size or three in the process.  It was such a mood lifter that I was delighted when it happened.  Go try on some smaller sizes and revel in your body changes!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MickeyDee
on 11/20/14 11:25 am

Good grief.  STAY OFF THE SCALE.  This is a VERY common occurrance with WLS.  

Poodlemac
on 11/20/14 11:42 am
RNY on 09/26/14

My doctor explained it well. He said, "this isn't a straight downhill ride, but more like a staircase. You'll go down a little, then plateau, then go down a little, and plateau."  Made great sense to me!