Patient Advocate

Deana_
on 11/19/14 12:18 am

This whole process has made me consider changing careers. Do the patient advocates just get these jobs randomly or is this something they went to school for? I know that my patient advocates at my surgeons office have not had weight loss surgery nor are battling obesity. I would love to do this one day and be a real inspiration for the new patients coming in for surgery.

White Dove
on 11/19/14 12:21 am - Warren, OH

I have also considered this, so waiting to see your replies.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/19/14 1:18 am

I doubt they went to a special training course for patient advocacy. More likely, they had some background in the medical field, likely in an administrative capacity, and they wandered into it.

I didn't set out to wrangle insurance for a herd of doctors. I started working in customer service for a managed care giant, went to work for another managed care company, then started in health care services processing authorizations for care, and eventually found myself where I am now.

You might start searching job listings and check to see what commons skills and requirements are needed. It seems to vary widely.

I did not go to college for anything remotely health care related.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/19/14 1:42 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I would say actually ask the patient advocates how you get into that kind of work. They would know best.

Deana_
on 11/19/14 4:00 am

I went to school for hotel and hospitality management and have a bachelors lol, but i work Guest Services for Disney. 

Just looking for a change for something I am passionate about.

I will talk to them and see what the process is.

SkinnyScientist
on 11/19/14 8:22 am

I think it would be an awesome career choice. When you ifnd out...pass it on!

I really think the geriatric community needs MORE advocates. To ensure everythign is adequately checked out and explained and not passed off as "oh..you are just old!"

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !