Surgery date -January 5th/15

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/14 8:19 am - Canada

My surgery date is January 5th/15

My first challenge, getting through Christmas and New Years on the Optifast diet!

Starting the Optifast shakes on Dec. 22nd. I am ready......but a little nervous I will end up in tears at some point during dinner. LOL I have already warned my family. Food has been an important part of my life for so long. Especially during the holidays. I could have chosen a later surgery date, but I have to start one day, right? Does anyone have ideas of things my family could buy me as gifts, for after my surgery?

Member Services
on 11/15/14 8:35 am - Irvine, CA
moisme2412
on 11/15/14 9:41 am - NJ

My surgery date is January 8th.  I'm gonna have to be on a diet through the holidays too.  I'm thinking it my be a bit difficult.  I feel the same way you do.  It's going to be a challenge watching everyone enjoy their meal as I suck down my protein shake.  But I'm so ready for a change and hopefully that gets me through.  Good luck!  I'm thinking some new pjs and slippers might be nice for the hospital stay.

Maureen

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/14 7:02 am, edited 11/17/14 7:03 am - Canada

Maureen, I think we are starting off the new year on the right foot. It won't be easy, but it will be so worth it. 

Cindy

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 7:18 pm - Canada

Hi Maureen, 

i have my pre-op appointment tomorrow and I am getting a bit nervous/excited. How are you preparing for it?

Parislosesw8
on 1/1/16 9:57 pm - Kansas City, MO
WLS on 01/05/16

My husband got me a nice robe.....I am really looking forward to Tues and will think "happy thoughts for you on Friday!!!

Jiliana2
on 11/16/14 11:27 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Here are a few ideas for gifts that I can come up with:

If you don't have one, get a Magic Bullet or some sort of blender. They come in handy! Hubby bought me one for Christmas last year and I've used it every day since my surgery in February. Handy things!

Gift certificates for clothing; you'll drop sizes so fast, your head will spin. Seriously.

Comfy sneakers for walking, if you don't have any already. Something comfortable to wear while walking/exercising?

Some ready-to-drink or powdered protein mix that you might like to try. Sample packs are good!

Tell them what sort of vitamins you'll want/need post-op. They get expensive and we continue to need them forever! (I've just run out of my calcium chews; reminds me to order more from Bariatric Advantage!)

I'm sure there are other things; I bet some of the other folks here can chime in. As for the Optifast, hang in there. I did Opti while in Florida on a family vacation. That was tough, but I managed. You will too. It's one Christmas out of your life; next year your life will be so different you won't even look at Christmas dinner the same way. Guaranteed! Food is simply fuel now. NOT the be-all and end-all of the celebration! You'll get there. I know you will.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/14 7:06 am - Canada

All great ideas. Thank you. I am looking forward to a new relationship with food. It will take time, but I am ready.

Parislosesw8
on 12/27/15 4:45 pm - Kansas City, MO
WLS on 01/05/16

Hello!

my husband bought me "crocs" shoes which slip-on because I won't be able to tie my shoes and bend over after my RNY surgery.......I want to wait until I start losing weight and I want people to buy me clothes......I want Visa gift cards to purchase new clothes and vitamins.....What kind of things do you want/need

Christmas was tough----everyone in my family was eating fudge, homemade cookies, pumpkin pie, etc.....

i can eat 2 small meals a day 4 oz lean meat (turkey), 1/4 small piece of fruit, few spoons of veggie....and then 2 shakes a day and all the water and decalf hot tea and sugar free jello .....

i don't know if I could JUST do optifast......

are you on all liquids??

Good Luck!

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/15 7:47 pm - Canada

Yes I was on fluids only. It has been almost a full year since my surgery. I don't regret it at all. There were a few tough times but mostly all positive. Good luck, a remember,

you are going to succeed