WLS and post surgical pain.

grantorinogt77
on 11/19/14 10:58 am

HI all. I was just wondering how bad the pain is after Roux en y? Someone once told me it hurts like H and feels like your guts are gonna fall out every time you stand up. I am also worried about mortality. Would appreciate your help. Thank you all in advance.

Cathy W.
on 11/20/14 12:46 am

I had RNY and it wasn't a walk in the park easy but it was manageable.  I had it done by lap rather than open so the recuperation was easier.  I was up taking brief walks the day after surgery.  Everyone's pain tolerance level is different but it didn't hurt like hell nor did I feel like my guts were going to fall out. 

Make sure that your bariatric surgeon is experienced in bariatrics and not a general surgeon that does bariatric surgery.  Do your research about surgeons.  You can search for your surgeon on OH and read member reviews.  Make sure you go to a Center of Excellence because there are criteria that must be met to be a COE.

Jill724
on 11/20/14 2:26 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I though the pain was fairly manageable.  Nothing that a little pain meds won't help with!! My experience anyway.

brandito
on 11/23/14 12:45 pm

I am five days post op of an RNY. Biggest pain for me was the drain. I took the narcotics in the hospital but once I came home I've had liquid Tylenol only three times. And I have been very active!!  I went to a youth football game and walked around, went Thanksgiving shopping, walked around the block, etc. Pain isn't bad for me but its more the feeling of malaise and maybe nausea. A lot of times that's worth than actual pain. Everyone promises me it will get easier each day!  

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!