Vegetarian with PCOS researching WLS

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/14 7:39 am, edited 11/20/14 3:42 pm

Hi there. I have been discussing WLS as an option with my MD for years now, we have tried many different diets with little to no lasting success. I am a lacto-ova vegetarian who doesn't eat soy or nuts, and I've done a few google searches, and it looks like that shouldn't be an issue. I know how to get good protein in anyway... 

My main concern is how effective is WLS for women with PCOS? 

Also, is there a way to do a search on the forums? I didn't see a search field? 

NYMom222
on 11/19/14 1:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There is a little magnifying glass in the upper right of the screen next to where it says 'my OH'... click on that and the search bar opens. I see many people on here mention PCOS, I don't think it's uncommon. Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/14 6:00 pm

Thank you!! I knew it was somewhere obvious, but I couldn't for the life of me see it. LOL Found a bunch of threads on PCOS & WLS... most people seem to see good results, particularly with gastric bypass, not so much with the lap band... 

Anyone want to pipe in about WLS and being vegetarian? 

Poodlemac
on 11/19/14 9:17 pm, edited 11/19/14 9:47 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Dr Garth Davis in Houston is a WLS who promotes a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. He is also on facebook and has some good info/links there. Google him for more info!  He's awesome!

hipswishingvinegarball
on 11/20/14 3:30 pm

I had (have? but seems resolved since surgery almost 7 years ago) PCOS, and opted for the surgery that was supposed to best help pcos and metabolic issues (also happens to have best stats for weight loss, maintenance, and resolution of most co-morbs).

I was also vegetarian off and on before surgery, but not vegan. I'm concerned you also have some of the metabolic issues, based on what you are saying about diet history. I thought I could maybe still be veggie if I wanted, but it would be work, but waaay to hard, to impossible to be vegan now.

Of course you could have something like the sleeve that may be more forgiving with the protein requirements, but no surgery has the success rate for all the above mentioned things that the DS does, and that is what I knew I needed. I drink protein shakes to help with protein intake, but I don't even try to avoid meat any longer (or egg or dairy). 

If you're metabolically resistant, as I suspect you are, I'm not sure there is a happy compromise for you between effective surgery, and limited protein choices.

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/14 4:28 pm

Thanks, yes, lots of metabolic issues. Past the baby making years though...

Unfortunately my body doesn't tolerate meat well, I took a three year break from being vegetarian and was a mess of constipation and diarrhea... I have loads of food allergies too, and something called Oral Allergy Syndrome, so eating vegan really isn't an option. I eat organic whole foods, don't like smoothies or shakes (it's a texture thing), so I get my veggies the good old fashioned way, raw or cooked... I eat whole grains, beans, lentils, dairy, eggs, and fruit. It's a pretty simple clean diet, and I eat to hunger, so it's never huge portions. My hubs and I always joke that I should be a skinny rail given my diet... he eats massive amounts of food and is a lean 17% body fat... I eat tiny amounts of vegetarian meals and gain weight. Not fair, right? 

Carolyn W.
on 11/20/14 4:50 pm

I have really severe PCOS. I had the vertical sleeve done on September 29th and I'm down 40 pounds! So far PCOS hasn't stopped me from losing any weight after the surgery. Before the surgery I had never lost a pound. I haven't had a period yet, but my body is still going through a little bit of shock and trying to figure out what is going on. I say if you are determined enough, you will have success! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/14 4:54 pm

That's great news that you're able to lose. My doctor had me do a 1000 calorie diet for a month a couple years ago just to test that I would actually lose weight eating low cal and I lost 12 lbs, but it wasn't something I could sustain long term and I regained it as soon as I started eating normally again. 

SkinnyScientist
on 11/21/14 4:44 am

I have PCOS and had RNY

I have lost weight fine.

However, I eat high protein (meat) high non-starch veg diet and limit my carbs from grains and refined sugar.

I dont think I could do it as a vegetarian.

Worried you might not get a good outcome. How will you ever feel full and satisfied with RNY if you dont eat dense protein?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/14 4:46 am

Last night I spent hours watching youtube videos of befores and afters and I've managed to really freak myself out. It started with the video of a guy who lost a lot of weight and was showing his loose skin. Then watching videos of people recovering from the surgery and all the complications and challenges... I just don't know. The cons seems to outweigh the pros at the moment. I have a referral doctor's appt next week, so will be discussing my fears and concerns then...