weight regain

sapph0924
on 11/18/14 2:43 am - Pottstown, PA

I am 7 years post op. I lost 160 pounds.  I have regained 50 pounds and am trying with no success to lose the weight again.  I have a lot of stress in my life and work nights. It is just so hard.  Working nights, I have a hard time trying to figure out when and what to eat.  I am so frustrated.  I just can't seem to get myself back on track.  I don't want to regain all the weight I lost. 

I am scared and frustrated.

Julie

Member Services
on 11/18/14 2:59 am - Irvine, CA

You are no alone, we all have stumbled, but you recognize it and want to stop it and that is a hard step to take. Here are a couple of links to great articles to help with getting back on track.  Get back to the basics, write everything down, move, attend a support group.  YOU CAN DO IT!

No One Is Bulletproof For Weight Regain After WLS   Sep 27, 2013 ... Weight regain after weight loss surgery can and does happen! Has this happened to you? Here are 6 tips to help get you back on track! www.obesityhelp.com/.../no-one-is-bulletproof-for-weight-regain-after-wls

Getting Back To Goal: 5 Key Steps To Reverse Weight Regain ...   Feb 12, 2013 ... Has a little weight regain kept you from maintaining your weight loss goal? Don't miss these 5 key steps to help get you back on track! www.obesityhelp.com/.../getting-back-to-goal-5-key-steps-to-reverse-weightregain

We have a great group here called Back On Track Together, Check them out! Please stay in touch! 

Back On Track Together

Please keep us posted on how you are doing  

IsaacPol
on 11/18/14 9:26 am

Which surgery did you have done? 

sapph0924
on 11/18/14 12:48 pm - Pottstown, PA

I had rny November 13, 2007

MsBatt
on 11/18/14 11:13 am

My first suggestion is that you go to your profile and post your surgery type and date. That way it will show up each time you post. This info helps us help you.

Now---do you journal your food? If not, I suggest you start tomorrow. Don't change what you're eating for a few days, but record EVERY SINGLE BITE that goes into your mouth. This will help you figure out what you're doing wrong, which is the first step back to doing things right.

Once you have journaled for a few days, post it here. List the number of grams of protein, fat, and carbs. (ALL carbs, not net carbs.) It's pretty common for too many carbs to sneak back in.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/18/14 7:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Don't give up, you can do this! Try going to the getting back on track forum, there's lots of people in the same situation as you. Definitely log everything you're eating, try using an app like my fitness pal. It breaks it down to show the carbs, protein, sodium etc that you are eating everyday, maybe you're eating too many carbs & not enough protein & water.

Working nights can be rough. I work a rotating shift myself, in fact I'm finishing up my mid shift now! So getting in enough sleep & still having the energy to work out can be a problem, and while exercise is a small portion for weight loss, hell every little bit helps. Try getting back into walking if you're not exercising on a regular right now. I bought the fitbit one & it really helps to keep track of how many steps I get in during the day, you can walk around at work if it's doable., & bring your food in a cooler to work so you won't have to eat at whatever is open at night. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

colleen53
on 11/18/14 11:36 pm - Fargo, ND

I have gained 35 lbs back since my surgery in 2004. I found out that my thyroid wasn't working correctly (had one of the hyper or hypo things). They killed my thyroid so I have to take thyroid medication. The doctor said once they got my tsh levels correct that I would easily lose the 35 I gained, well guess again, didn't work. I have tried everything except writing everything down, think that is what I have to do. So disappointing.

Cathy W.
on 11/19/14 5:18 am

I've had a couple of regains and it is hard to get it back off but it can be done. 

For me, I had surgery 13 years ago and there wasn't as much information about regain as there is now.  It may also be a case that I didn't believe that it would happen to me.  Very short sighted thinking for sure.  I took my weight loss for granted.  Once I lost it, it would stay gone.  WRONG.  Even writing that now is embarrassing to write.  

You can lose it but it is slow.  Losing weight regain is at a pace that is similar to losing weight pre-op.  It really is a matter of calories in/calories out, not grazing, watching the carbs and exercising.  Don't get frustrated because losing weight regain was frustrating to me.  I kept telling myself that I did it once and I could do it again.  I think I have a really hard head because now I've changed my habits but it took a couple of times.  Life is stress.  All of us have stress.  I kept telling myself that losing my regained weight was more important to me than eating that cookie (or fill in your food choice). 

Getting back on track AND staying on track is a choice.  It is a series of choices we make multiple times throughout our day.  You can do it.  Choose it and do it.