sweat is fat CRYING....this is about exercise...

Bonnie250
on 11/14/14 12:15 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

Just a few months ago, I felt hopeless about my looks, my weight had gotten to its all time high of 250lbs....All i thought about was how fat i was....miserable. I was sad because of my eating, and eating because I was sad. I felt like food and eating controlled me. That i didnt control it...Thanks to my surgery (AUG,25th 2014) all THAT changed...now, of course the restriction, and less calorie intake, as well as eating better is GOING to cause weight loss...BUT I want to say something about what has REALLY thrown my weight loss into HIGH GEAR. and making my surgeon calling me an "overachiever" is my EXERCISE...I try to work out at LEAST 5 days a week, I'd like to say 7 days a week, but its not always going to be reasonable...but i do as much as I can. I started out with the treadmill, My first weeks were building up my endurance, and speed. I found it fun to challenge myself with increasing the speed and incline, I was burning around 300 calories per workout, which is fairly good....Now I find  with the elliptical i burn more calories quicker. I have increased my workout to 1 FULL HOUR. Today i went over 6miles and burned well over 700calories....now if you ask me how good i feel after my workout, I can tell you it is AMAZING. I have LOVED myself, enough to take 1 hour to make myself stronger,leaner, and burn calories,handle stress, strengthen my heart, and that is WONDERFUL.  I strive to continue to challenge myself, and maybe 3 months from now, or 6 months or a year, who knows what my level of fitness will bring me too. As for now, It feels good going into a size 12, knowing soon, it will be a size 10, and well.....who knows where it stops...size 8? cant imagine...So I am no longer the miserable person i WAS. My life has changed so much for the better...I had to..I JUST HAD TOO...And I HAVE TOO, I have to make good CHOICES, and YES I have to climb on that treadmill or elliptical about EVERY DAY...but it is paying off big time!! I hope this encourages someone. Because if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO! Be blessed.

Bonnie

Grim_Traveller
on 11/14/14 9:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Exercise is fantastic for health, and absolutely will make you feel better and stronger. It has a great many benefits. But it really doesn't do a lot for weight loss. The calories burned on exercise machines and online calculators are way, way off. Losing weight is still 90% eating and 10% activity.

Congrats on your progress. You deserve the credit for changing the way you eat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 9:13 pm, edited 11/15/14 1:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I still love exercise and it's really important to my life right now, but I do it for reasons that aren't weight loss. 

(And this is a frequent point of debate in my household.  My marathoning partner is on my side - eating is everything where weight is concerned.  My swimming partner is on the other side - he thinks exercise is more like 50% of the battle.  It makes for fun dinner conversations.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bonnie250
on 11/14/14 11:51 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

I disagree. It does wonders for weight loss. We all have our opinions though. My surgeon told me he thought most of my loss so fast WAS due to my exercise...Building muscle burns fat...but thank you for the Congrats.

Bonnie

Bonnie250
on 11/16/14 8:50 am
RNY on 08/25/14

I am sorry, but i disagree with you. I think exercise is GREAT for weight loss. I am not sure Losing weight is 90%eating and 10% activity...Are you sure of that? Thanks for the congrats, though...

Bonnie

Price S.
on 11/14/14 9:38 pm - Mills River, NC

My whole attitude is better when I can exercise.  I am always working with the ponies but I also do muscle pump, yoga and walk.  I have a broken sacrum right now so I am limited in what I can do but even walking makes me feel so much better.  It is a "good thing" in itself and a benefit for weight loss or maintaining.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/14/14 10:36 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I find it amazing so many people seem to embrace exercise after weight loss surgery, I'm not a runner - I can't imagine running 1 mile, never mind 6.. unless someone was chasing me.. with an ax. 

I am hoping this will change, I look forward to getting out of the house and doing something.

Bonnie250
on 11/14/14 11:54 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

I at one time felt the same way. I thought the same thing, My advice is to start small, set small goals, such as a brisk walk around the block,once a day...I did this gradually, not overnight. It'll do wonders....

Bonnie

Willie H.
on 11/14/14 10:45 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow! Thanks.Your journey almost mirrors mine right down to the surgery date! (August 26, 2014) Like you I am beginning to love exercise. I do the treadmill and I put in on "Hill" at Level 10 so now so I am able to burn about 500-700 calories in an hour. I was thinking of doing the steps or elliptical but don't know if I am able to yet but I will try next week! I also enjoy at Planet Fitness the 30 minute workout. I do it almost like a cardio workout two days a week and that has helped. Yet, as one poster said it really is probably 90% diet and 10% exercise -and from his results his words has weight! (not a pun) but the exercise does contribute to feeling better about one self. Even with the sleeve I have to continually work on the diet part, the mindset. But thanks for the encouraging post, makes me want to go work out right now!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Bonnie250
on 11/16/14 8:54 am
RNY on 08/25/14

I am glad you got the exercise bug too! It's a great habit, and after a workout, doesn't it feel good? I just feel so good about myself afterwards!  Keep up the good work and thanks for your reply!

Bonnie