Wait a few months?

SoSmilie
on 11/14/14 1:52 am - South Bend, IN

Hi all,

I'm getting a sleeve but my hubby wants me to wait at least 6 months and just try dieting, etc.  I feel like I do need some time to get rid of bad eating habits, start working out again, keep on low-carb diet, but do you think scheduling the surgery in January is enough time to do this or is it prudent to wait a few more months to try to lose weight and focus on eating how I"ll be eating after surgery?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/14/14 2:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Is waiting to ease your fears about the surgery or your husbands?, will waiting 6 months change anything that you have done in the past to lose weight.? If your husband wants you to wait perhaps using the time for you both to get educated about the surgery & its requirements will help you both thru it. Surgery is a tool, that's it. You could wait to focus on how you'll be eating after surgery, but that's like trying to hammer a nail into a wall without the hammer. 

You really have to look at yourself & decide if wls is really for you, or if you want to give diet & exercise alone without your tool another shot. You will still have to diet & exercise after surgery too, but having your tool to help you will make you more successful in the long term. Good luck in whatever YOU choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Judi2
on 11/14/14 2:22 am
RNY on 12/08/14

Oh gosh that's exactly what mine told me. I waited (6months) lost a bunch of weight and put it right back on. Then started the process for the RNY. He's not talking about it but I don't care anymore. I'm scheduled for December 8th and I can't wait! Not living my life to please anyone anymore

SoSmilie
on 11/15/14 6:22 am - South Bend, IN

Good luck!  Will your husband go with you to the surgery?

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 2:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Does your insurance require any sort of pre-op diet?  Most do.  Have you never dieted before?  If you have, why does your partner think that this time will be different?  

It's your body and your choice.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/14/14 2:29 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I think it's pretty safe to say we've all reached this point because dieting didn't work for us, the yo-yo effect is disheartening and unhealthy. Does he think you only need to lose a few pounds and having surgery for that is extreme? Did he give a reason why? is he scared or nervous about WLS? Maybe taking him to some of your support meetings would ease his fears if that's the case.  Does your Dr. require a 6 month supervised diet? in that time you will lose some weight, learn healthy habits and how to eat after WLS. 

Cathy W.
on 11/14/14 2:56 am

If dieting had worked for you to get rid of unhealthy eating habits and got you on a regular exercise program, you wouldn't be wanting to have weight loss surgery.

I suggest talking to your husband as to WHY he wants you to wait.  What are his reasons for waiting?  What are his concerns and issues?  You then need to let him know why it is important to you to have weight loss surgery.

Ultimately, it is YOUR health and YOUR choice.  Make the choice that is best for you.

hollykim
on 11/14/14 4:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM Pacific Time, SoSmilie wrote:

Hi all,

I'm getting a sleeve but my hubby wants me to wait at least 6 months and just try dieting, etc.  I feel like I do need some time to get rid of bad eating habits, start working out again, keep on low-carb diet, but do you think scheduling the surgery in January is enough time to do this or is it prudent to wait a few more months to try to lose weight and focus on eating how I"ll be eating after surgery?

I personally would not have postponed my surgery for anyone and my DH wouldn't gave asked me to do that. I couldn't get on the table fast enough. 

6 months from now you could potentially have lost half the weight you. Need t lose. 

poet_kelly
on 11/14/14 12:52 pm - OH

Having you tried dieting before?  If you haven't, then you should definitely do that before having WLS!  Most surgeons won't do WLS on people that haven't tried dieting first.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Stace62
on 11/14/14 9:12 pm
VSG on 10/31/14

Is this possibly fears your DH is having about you losing a lot of weight? I know when I asked my hubby if he was really ok with me having it his response was (in a joking way) oh ya, you will lose a bunch of weight, feel great and then probably leave me !!  I was so shocked when I heard him express his fear because I had no idea he had even entertained that thought. We sat down at that point and I really made sure he understood that 1. I was not leaving him and 2. that I was doing this for my health, so that I could live a long healthy life WITH him.  I think he really needed to hear these words even if he knew them in his heart.  He has been super supportive through all of this and I told him that makes me love him even more !! 

Myself I wish I had signed up for the surgery years before I did....it's never too soon to start a healthy lifestyle !

Good Luck to you in your journey !!

HW-240  SW-235  CW-209   M1-26.4  M2-xx  M3-xx  M4-xx