Hello, I am new!!!

Trailblazer
on 11/13/14 3:11 am - Lake Elsinore, CA

Hello All, I am sooo excited to be on this journey. I am in California and just went to my first seminar last night. Since I hit 40, this summer, I have been gently nudging myself in this direction. I am tired of feeling tired, I am sick of feeling sick. I want to feel and be ME again. I have been fighting my weight my whole life. I crash dieted all through my teens and 20's. Used phentermine to fit into my wedding gown and hit a low of 174. After I had 2 kids I found myself with pre diabetes, bad knees, a bad back and over 100 lbs overweight. Time to make that change for my future, my family and me.

Since I am just starting, what should I know?

I think I have to have 6 months with a dietitian. I have Blue cross Blue shield. What is that like? 

How do I handle telling people? Not ready for that yet.

Anyone done this surgery with two little ones at home? I am a stay at home mom to a 4 year old and 18 moth old.

THANKS!!!!

Gwen M.
on 11/13/14 4:55 am, edited 11/13/14 4:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend reading everything you can.  Research, research, research.  Read the forums here that are dedicated to the specific surgeries.  Read books, read blogs, talk to people if you can.  Start going to a WLS support group.  

Start thinking about your Obesity Recovery Team now - I highly recommend finding a therapist that you enjoy working with now instead of waiting until there's a crisis.  Mine is a key player of my team.  

As for telling people, I opted to only tell the people that needed to know in case I died during surgery - my partners, parents, brother, three best friends.  I also told my voice teacher because my surgery was going to have a direct impact on my lessons.  Post-op, whenever it came up in conversation I'd share - so if people asked about my weight loss, whatever.  Then, four months post-op, I posted to Facebook that I'd had surgery.  So it's been fairly public knowledge since then. The support I've received from most people has been astonishing.  A few people have been less than awesome, but they're smart enough to keep it to themselves.  

You won't be able to do any lifting for the initial recovery, so you might need help with the kiddos during that period.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Trailblazer
on 11/13/14 11:42 am - Lake Elsinore, CA

Thanks so much for your advice. I am on a crash course to find out as much as I can about the surgery types. What made you decide to do VSG?

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 8:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG specifically?  Or WLS in general?  

This is what I've written about why I chose VSG - 

The four WLS are - sleeve, gastric bypass (RNY), lapband, and duodenal switch. My insurance covers the first three, but not the DS.

I ruled out the lapband immediately because the only people I know who have had it are miserable or have needed it removed. The complication rate is atrocious and it only lasts for 10 years or so. It's billed as being a "reversible" surgery, but the damage it can cause, like from erosion into your esophagus, is permanent. So no lapband for me.

The choice really boiled down to RNY or VSG and I chose the sleeve for a number of reasons. (Even if DS had been an option, I would not have chosen it.)

1. I really like the simplicity of the sleeve. All it does is remove 85% of your stomach. That's it.
2. I dislike the idea of having my intestines rerouted.
3. The "good" malabsorption that the bypass gives (of fats) is a temporary thing that only lasts for a few years whereas the "bad" malabsorption (of vitamins and minerals) lasts for forever. That's not worth it to me.
4. The sleeve is restriction only, no malabsorption. This also means that I CAN eat anything at all. Fats and sugars won't screw up my bowels the way they can for the bypass. (Of course I still need to make healthy choices, but that's a choice, not something that my surgery requires.)
5. With the bypass, you're left with a remnant stomach that can't be scoped. That scares the crap out of me. First, the idea that I have this weirdly connected non-stomach but then to not be able to get it checked out with an endoscopy if there's a problem? Eek. Do not want.
6. My understanding is that complication rates with the bypass are significantly greater, especially longterm due to malabsorption. While I will be taking vitamins for the rest of my life, chances are that I won't end up in the hospital if I stop because the sleeve has no malabsorption involved.
7. For the most part (and there are exceptions) the people I know in real life with the sleeve look and seem healthier than the people I know with the bypass. That's nothing scientific though.. just a gut feeling.
8. The sleeve leaves you with a fully functional pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach whereas the bypass gives you a stoma which can stretch over time.

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Trailblazer
on 11/14/14 9:55 am - Lake Elsinore, CA

Thanks so much for all of your insight. I am looking to do either the bypass or the sleeve. Lap band is out for the reasons you mentioned. I just feel like I need the severity and restriction that the bypass makes. But, I am looking into and like what you have said about the sleeve. Only heard about DS today so know almost nothing about it.

Thanks!!!

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 9:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that all three of the surgeries (VSG, RNY, and DS) are probably great for the people they're great for.  It's just a matter of figuring out which will be the best one for you!

yvillegger55
on 11/13/14 5:24 am

HI my daughter INC has her on the 6 month also, She goes to her reg doc every month to weigh in.she makes sure that it is posted that that's what her visit are for nothing more. She on her 3 month ,so remember they go by fast she has lost 29 pounds if you lose great just try not to gain. Also doing excises cause they will ask you if you are.

About telling people, we are not telling many, a few close ones cause of people reaction don't want to many negative talk about it. I am also have the surgery done I am told its in Dec and my Daughters in March's hoping it goes well for you in all that you do.

Villegger55

Trailblazer
on 11/13/14 11:43 am - Lake Elsinore, CA

Thanks! Good Luck to you and your daughter!

Member Services
on 11/13/14 6:33 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon (sounds like you have one already).  If you need some other suggestions let us know.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.  

You can reach us at [email protected]  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/13/14 7:37 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

First thing you should do is call your insurance company (BCBS) to confirm that they cover weight loss surgery.   Many policies specifically exclude it so you don't want to be disappointed.

Read about the different types of surgeries available.  Due to the number of complications I've seen here on OH, I wouldn't recommend the lap band.  Some people have been very successful, but there are others who've had serious damage done to their esophagus and stomach.

If you're not ready to tell people, don't.  If you have to undergo the six months of supervised weight loss, there's plenty of time to figure out how to relay the news to friends and family.

I had the vertical sleeve last December, and could not be happier.  It was the best thing I could do for my health.  Good luck on your journey.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220