Just starting and a little scared

Alicia H.
on 11/12/14 11:09 am - SAN ANTONIO, TX

A little background: almost got WLS in 2003 but due to ins/timing reasons it did not happen.  A lifetime of things have happened since then and now I have a good job with insurance that covers it.  I have my first consult scheduled and I am nervous as all get out.  I know about the requirements my ins requires and it seems all so overwhelming.  Is there any advice you would have for me in order to get through the process and not lose focus? I am determined to be healthy.

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/14 12:01 pm
VSG on 11/13/14

I was a little overwhelmed too and was frustrated at all the steps leading up to it.  I was hoping to have surgery at the beginning of October and for a while it seemed like it would never happen but tomorrow is my surgery day!  Make sure you are ready and follow every step. I went to a support group and it was very helpful and answered questions for me. Good luck!

Poodlemac
on 11/12/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I was talking with my doctor and expressed my reluctance to have the surgery because I see it as an "elective" surgery. He looked me square in the eye and said, "this surgery is going to change your life for the better in so many ways you can't imagine!"  That was it!  I cried and knew I was in. I love my doctor and I'm so happy I did this for myself!

Eggface
on 11/12/14 10:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes to you! Having WLS was the best gift I ever gave myself. I hope you will feel the same. Hope a few of these suggestions help: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/04/for-p re-ops.html Good for you for even posing this Q. I'm a list person so maybe writing down all the steps you need to accomplish both testing, insurance requirements, but also the lifestyle change stuff and start marking them off as they happen. At the very top of the list write your last line...  "I am determined to be healthy." 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 11/13/14 1:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Learn everything you can abou t the three popular procedures:  RNY, VSG and DS  Know them well and compare to your own history of weight loss (or lack thereof).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 11/13/14 2:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, aliciaL_77 wrote:

A little background: almost got WLS in 2003 but due to ins/timing reasons it did not happen.  A lifetime of things have happened since then and now I have a good job with insurance that covers it.  I have my first consult scheduled and I am nervous as all get out.  I know about the requirements my ins requires and it seems all so overwhelming.  Is there any advice you would have for me in order to get through the process and not lose focus? I am determined to be healthy.

baby steps. One step at a time. GL

yvillegger55
on 11/13/14 4:39 am

HI,, I also tried to get the surgery, in 05 but after I did all the  requirements I was told that INC wouldn't pay for it, Big disappointment,

Now I am trying again, I am getting excited and hope I don't get a disappointment  again. All seem to be going good I do feel like this will happened just cause of how things been going. I go to my nutrition class and psych evaluation and my GND this coming week, I can hardly wait to be there. I am been told that my surgery will be in Dec. I am so afraid I will get the big BOOM, when I get so excited and feel that it will happy. Trying really hard to stay positive.

Villegger55