Pain persists at JP drain sites and PEG site

CelticSoul
on 11/10/14 3:16 pm

I am 5 weeks post op from an open COMPLETE REVERSAL of my 4/3/12 RNY due to many complications and a perforation at the anastomosis.  I had a pneumothorax about 12 days following the 10/3/14 reversal which kept me in hospital another 6 days.  While in hospital, the surgeon removed the JP drains (2).  The PEG had been removed the end of July.  My large incision is healing well (as are the drain/PEG sites).  But, I remain extremely tender in these areas.  I am hoping that someone here in the forums has had JP drains before and can offer some advice.  My prior posts can enlighten those who don't know my very difficult journey.  Not having insurance makes it difficult for me to follow-up with CT imaging which is what my PCP suggested.  I don't want to be an alarmist but, my track record for complications is pretty intense. 

The drain sites (2) and the PEG sites are not inflamed or draining just, remarkably tender to touch or bending, etc.  How long should this tenderness persist? 

Thanks for replying.  Hoping this is normal and not a precursor to MORE problems. 

Celtie

Lisarn1
on 11/10/14 6:41 pm - Raleigh, NC

Hi Celtie

i'm not sure that I can help much, but I found it interesting how much our stories are similar. It just happens that I posted on the VSG board yesterday what has been going on. I actually had revision surgery from my RNY to VSG. I will repost it here. I did not have drains, a peg, nor a large incision, though I wound up with a hemothorax and pleural effusion. My surgery was on 10/13, and I was admitted via the ED on 11/3 because of horrible left flank and back pain. I had an emergency Thoracentesis (not gun in any way), I have a chest tube, and a pigtail chest tube (mini chest tube) with a JP for suction drain. I am currently waiting for transport to take me to the OR for surgery to reinflate the lower lobe of my let lung that will not seem to do it on its own. I really don't blame the revision surgery, as we believe that the complications were caused by an adhesion tear to my spleen. 

As far as drains, as well as pegs, these are tubes placed far into the muscles of the abdomin. When the are removed, they may be very tender for a while. If you feel that you pain is something more, please call your surgeon.

Thanks

Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

CelticSoul
on 11/11/14 2:14 am, edited 11/11/14 2:15 am

Dear Lisa,    I'm sorry you are having problems as well.  It's certainly not what we hope or plan.  I will keep you in my thoughts  and prayers that all goes well and you begin to heal very soon.  As for me,  I will "wait and see" if the pain resolves.

Best wishes,

Celtie xo

Lisarn1
on 11/11/14 6:10 pm - Raleigh, NC

Thanks Celtie

i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as well. Had my surgery yesterday to clear out the thoracic cavity and re-expand my lung. Things went very well, but hurting like a bugger! Now I have to pay the piper. I didn't tell anyone except my husband and son, & work, about the ulcer repairs. My wonderful daughter-in-law, whom I adore and couldn't love more than had I raised her, posted a call for prayers for this latest surgery on FB. Now the other members of my family are really frightened about how this whole thing has gone. I would have called them last week, but really didn't know last week what I know today. Anyway, I need to call my Aunt today, and tell her the whole story. She is in her 80's, and I really didn't want to give her more anxiety or stress. Please keep my conversation with her later today in you thoughts.

Thanks

Lisa

CelticSoul
on 11/12/14 2:45 am

Dear Lisa, 

Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way.  I hope your Aunt handles the news without too much worry and anxiety.   I will pray that all things work harmoniously and you are soon restored to good health.

Warmest regards,

Celtie ( Shelli )

Lisarn1
on 11/12/14 3:59 am - Raleigh, NC

Things are going well today. Lots of pain today, but that's to be expected after thoracic surgery. Spoke with my Aunt, and everything is good with us. Anyway, how are you feeling?

CelticSoul
on 11/12/14 4:36 am

Hi Lisa,

Glad things are going well for you.  I still have pain at the drain and PEG sites.  They are well healed,  not draining and I haven't had more diarrhea and fever.  So, since I no longer have insurance we will take a wait and see approach.  If things change or symptoms return I  will go to the ER.  We don't have much choice.

Keep me updated on your recovery. 

Hugs,

Celtie