Protein HELP!

Tracy D.
on 11/12/14 12:56 am, edited 11/12/14 1:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Unjury Chocolate Splendor - go on their website and order some sample packets.  I love it and I despise all other protein drinks.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

catalina07
on 11/12/14 1:23 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thank you tracy d!!!! I appreciate your opinion and I am going to order samples today!

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Gwen M.
on 11/12/14 5:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You can order samples from nashau nutrition.  I recommend just trying and trying until you find one you like.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amy R.
on 11/12/14 6:30 am

It took me a LONG time to find a way to make a shake I liked.  Like 2 years (and by then lots of docs don't even recommend them - but I  still needed them).

What I would do is take the scoop of protein powder and mix it with just enough cold cold liquid to make it fluid.  It was usually literally only one to two ounces of water, since I don't do milk.   Then I would slam that little mother like a shot of tequila.  Not fun and probably not ideal but it worked for me until I found a way to make shakes that I actually look forward to.

You can also check out Bariatric Foodie, an OH members website.  Her motto is "there is never a reason to drink a bad protein shake" or something like that. She has LOTS of recipes.  

Don't forget, your tastes will likely change postop so probably not a good idea to stock up to much preop.  What you like now may disgust you after you surgery.

good luck to you=)

TexasLady52
on 11/12/14 6:58 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I started out drinking Atkins ....they only had 15 grams of protein.  After surgery all of them tasted like drinking chaulk.....could not stand any of them.  I started using GENEPRO (you can order from Amazon or go to website for samples), it is oderless and tasteless...you can mix it in hot or cold.  I mix it with Crystal Light lemonade (other flavors or too sweet) and keep a big glass of it on my desk to sip on all day.....30 grams of protein each.

Bette B.
on 11/12/14 7:52 am

Ask if your doc has samples. Mine sells Nectar in several favors and they gave me scoop samples of a bunch of them the last time I was there.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jaifra78
on 11/12/14 8:25 am
RNY on 04/16/14

this site has almost all the protein samples you could ever want. then when you find one you like you can order a big tub from vitamin shoppe or vitacost http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/12/14 9:54 am
VSG on 01/11/16

My liquid pre-op calls for clear liquids I can see through, nothing cloudy with the exception of protein drinks. I don't mind the protein RTD shakes too much but I can't see myself drinking 2 weeks of them @ 3-4 times a day.. lol, So I also got ISOpure zero carb (12 oz, cal/160,zero fat & carbs or sugar, 40 protein)and Protein 2.0 water ( 16oz, zero fat & sugar, 2 carbs, 15 protein)in addition to unflavored protein powder to mix in broths. 

sistav
on 11/12/14 1:22 pm

I am also looking for alternative sources for protein but I currently live by the Premier Protein shakes and I was one that thought they all tasted horrible.  There are 30 grams of Protein in an eleven ounce container.  It still takes me a little while to drink the 11 oz but I am only 2 1/2 months out from surgery.  They taste like chocolate milk to me.  I am busy so I like the fact that I can grab them and go. (My sister heats hers sometime and it taste like hot chocolate but I think it may lose protein value, although the internet said no! LOL   I was buying then at Walgreens but when I found I really liked them I started getting them in volume at Costco.  Try the individual first. I like the chocolate but I haven't tried the vanilla.  (They also advertise them on this website but I haven't looked into the online price.  I hope this helps.     

gram247
on 11/17/14 11:17 pm

I had to drink protein pre op . I tried several but ultimately found Glucerna, had the best taste for me. Post op I had to have clear liquid protein, and I couldn't find anything I liked. After 5 days of gagging , and *****ing, I was advanced to full liquids. So I went back to Glucerna with protein powder added for extra protein, since my stomach capacity was so small.  Make sure you are getting enough protein, otherwise you will find your hair thinning and falling out.