16 days post op and afraid to come off liquids!

StacyG64
on 11/11/14 3:34 am

I know this sounds silly, or maybe not.  My Dr. told me I could start having more than just liquids, like yogurt and soup and scrambled eggs..  then why am i so scared!   

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 3:56 am

Start with scrambled eggs or some cottage cheese.  It's time to start moving to solids. Don't be afraid. You will be shocked how easy that first bite goes down. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

dccyr
on 11/12/14 12:43 am

And how good it is.

Wendy-Louise
on 11/11/14 4:30 am - Canada

Definitely don't do scrambled eggs apparently they are hard on the poach. Found out the hard way. Mashed potatoes and gravy seem to go down without a problem. Today for lunch I had chunky beef soup except I took out the meat and mashed up the veg, it was well received. I know its supposed to be pureed but i can't do it. But as everyone suggests take it really slow one new thing at a time. Good Luck on your journey

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 5:03 am, edited 11/11/14 7:02 am

Eggs are protein and fantastic. MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY ARE NOT.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/11/14 5:04 am

mashed potatoes and gravy is bad advice. It is a truckload of carbohydrates.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 6:23 am - Mississauga, Canada

Eggs aren't a problem for everyone, just some of us. As an excellent protein source, they're definitely worth a try.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/11/14 6:40 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Please don't eat mashed potatoes and gravy.  They are loaded with carbs and not what you should be eating so soon out of surgery.  You need to focus on protein to help your body heal.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Trouble1391011
on 11/11/14 4:48 am

I don't know which surgery you had, but I understand... I was so excited to try food but then worried when it came time.  I started with mashed potatoes and natural apple sauce, and then  moved to scrambled eggs (only 1/2) at a meal. I never had a problem with eggs :)  Good luck!  It will be ok :)  Just make sure to chew well and eat small bites!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/11/14 5:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Eggs can be tricky after surgery, so be careful with them.  

You might want to check out Eggface's ideas for pureed foods.  The baked ricotta is delicious and very easy to eat.   Just start eating s-l-o-w-l-y and take small bites.  You'll be fine.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220