What to tell my spouse?

poet_kelly
on 11/10/14 9:11 am - OH

Tell him that your quality of life will be better when you are healthier.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/10/14 9:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Losing weight isn't always the problem.  It's keeping it off.  Your odds are better for keeping it off if you have WLS.

Believe me, my quality of life has improved exponentially since I had WLS.  My highest BMI was over 70.  There's no way in hell I could have lost this much weight through just a diet of low carb.  Been there, done that and gained it all back and more.

I'll compromise about a great many things in my relationship, but my long term health is not up for negotiation.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Judi2
on 11/10/14 11:08 am
RNY on 12/08/14

Mine is against me getting the surgery and I waited  6 months trying to "educate" him but he still feels the same. My date is 12/6 and my son is taking me to the hospital, my mom and sons will help me recoup...it's my body in which I feel the pain in my knees, back and hips. He doesn't have a weight prioblem so it's easy for him to say "just have discipline". 

I forge ahead to a healthier life. 

SoSmilie
on 11/10/14 10:13 pm - South Bend, IN

Thank you everyone for your support!  You're right; I do have to do this for me and my health is not a compromise.

softballmom23
on 11/11/14 12:34 am

I was fortunate that my husband was extremely supportive right from the beginning. I chose RNY for health reasons and now that I am 2 months post op, there is not a day that goes by that I am so glad I did it. I am healthier and happier. And now that I have been loosing weight my husband loves it.

I am also fortunate that I have a great support system all around from personal friends to co-workers. But the decision is up to you.

Good Luck !!!!

ch7707
on 11/11/14 5:14 am

My husband was initially concerned because the only thing he knew about bariatric surgery was that there could be a metabolic problems due to malabsorption. Once I explained to him that the sleeve didn't have that risk and that it was all laparoscopic, he was on board.  

Bottom line:  your body, your decision.  If he can't support you in your quest to become healthy, to me, that's a sign of an even bigger problem.

smiles2561
on 11/16/14 1:05 pm

My husband was against it too! I had to take a private car all the way to the neighboring state for surgery! But he loved it once all the weight started coming off! Well, needless to say, we only lasted a few more years, and i met my second husband! He told me that I wouldn't have probably been the type for him if I was heavy but I was still 180 lbs so i wasn't a skinny mini! Well, I have had so many complications over the years, my initial surgery was 1990. I had a revision i***** and 2011, due to complications! I felt so blessed initially but so many people have said to me, weren't you healthier then, before surgery or now, being thin? It is totally for you to decide, it is your body! So do what you feel is best! Good luck and God Bless You!  If you ever want to talk, feel free to contact me!