Just starting the journey to the new ME

L. Woody
on 11/8/14 8:23 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

Hello my name is Leigh. I have just started my journey. I have gotten the referral and filled out my paperwork. Now I have to make my appointment to see the surgeon. It tells me I have to have sleep study and a counseling session first.

I have a question, For the counseling session do you see a psychiatrist or a psychologist? Does it matter?

Thanks for any tips or help you can give me.

Leigh

poet_kelly
on 11/9/14 12:49 am - OH

Psychiatrists don't usually do counseling.  But I'd ask whoever told you that you need to have counseling session to make sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Member Services
on 11/9/14 1:31 am - Irvine, CA

Hello Leigh,

Congratulations the beginning of your journey.  Be sure and check out all the information and resources available under the Resources tab.  

Gwen M.
on 11/9/14 1:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats!  

I'd ask whoever told you that you need a counseling session for information.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

joatsaint
on 11/9/14 2:12 am - TX

My insurance required 1 psychologist visit. My WLS doctor referred me to his preferred psych. You might ask your doctor too, your doc will know a barbaric friendly psychologist.

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

L. Woody
on 11/9/14 2:20 am
VSG on 05/20/15

Thanks for the info. I just want to get as much out of the way as soon as I can. My DR requires sleep study, counseling, mammogram, pap, and I have to go to a class to hear all the options. I am looking at a sleeve procedure.

L. Woody
on 11/20/14 12:55 am
VSG on 05/20/15

Surgical Consult scheduled for the 8th of December and I will have all the things on the check list completed by then. Shewwww glad to have most of them out of the way.