2 1/2 weeks post op Lap-Band and STILL CAN'T BURP!!!

ivory214
on 11/8/14 2:46 pm

This is seriously stressing me out... I was a big burper before... I mean I burped with the best of the guys... but now it just won't come up. I feel it just sitting there, I even tried using Gas-X with no help. Will this ever go back to normal? I don't have my first fill until 11/20 and my worry is once I've had the fill it will not be possible to burp (my rational is the band is preventing me from burping now with no fluid, so once there is fluid there will be further restriction) My one friend had gastric bypass over 9 years ago and she said she hasn't burped since. What say you?

Kate -True Brit
on 11/8/14 4:36 pm - UK

This may not be what you hope to hear! But I couldn't burp for years post-op! All gas had to exit downwards!!  Actually, I can burp now! No idea what has changed as my band is no different. But I have been able to burp for a few years now.

In fact I "use" burps! Maybe my body has adjusted itself somehow!!  If I swallow a bit too fast and something doesn't go straight through, I deliberately burp and the expulsion of gas seems to shift the small piece of food (I can "taste" it even though it doesn't come up) and it moves it to a diferent position and it passes through the band. 

At the moment, you will probably still be gassy as the result of the op. You may find less problem soon. After all, you won't be over-eating, you won't be gulping carbonate drinks - two of the main causes of excess gases. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

lburrell
on 11/9/14 6:54 am

I had RNY 3 mos and burp ALL the time. Guess it is better than farting. Sorry you r having that problem. I guess it would feel pretty uncomfortable to need to burp but not be able to

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Nic M
on 11/9/14 7:38 am

I had difficulty burping when I had the band. All the gas would build in my abdomen until it was hard and painful. I don't know what the answer is other than not having a band. None of the over the counter products helped even a little. You're probably still really swollen from surgery, so don't give up hope, though. If you are unable to burp, still,  when you go to have the band filled, you might want to give yourself more time to heal. There's no rule that says you have to have the band filled, especially if you're already uncomfortable.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI