Surgery At Toronto East General Hospital - anyone have a good experience?????

Tlhr01
on 11/9/14 9:33 pm

I'm just returning from my surgery last week at Toronto East General. The surgery went exceptionally well, and the surgeon Dr Aarts and her team were awesome. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the nursing staff in recovery and on my stay on the 5th floor. Thank goodness for the television rental lady who went and found me some ice and water at 6pm the following day. I know nurses are busy, but this hospital system is severly lacking 1 thing - compassion! I might be wrong, but I thought nurses went into that profession to help people? Seemed like during my visit all they really cared about was logging a patients stats into computer carts they pushed around. The nurse in the recovery room actually stood in the middle of the room yelling about how dare the Dr's send her a bariatric patient at 6:30pm at night, and I'm talking a 5 minute rant about how she had too much work to do, after she quieted down and came to attend to my moaning and groaning due to back spasms she told me to "shut up", my whining wouldn't help me feel better.   I'm glad I had the surgery, and I'm looking forward to my recovery, I'm just totally shocked at the level of care that was provided to me post op and my day following the surgery when I was in the hospital.

Jiliana2
on 11/10/14 12:03 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

You may get more response posting this on the Ontario forums.

I cannot speak about TEGH, as I am in Ottawa, but I'm sure others can chime in. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Poodlemac
on 11/10/14 12:55 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I would make it a point to report the recovery room nurse. Regardless of her work load, she should never take out her frustrations on a patient. It is not your fault she's overworked. Her behavior as described is completely unacceptable. 

Bubbles314
on 11/10/14 5:27 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

When I was in the hospital, my nurses had a problem shutting the door or drawing the curtain over so you can't see in.  I complained every time they came in to do something to me (stats, drain emptying etc.) Anyone walking the halls could see  what they were doing to me.  None of the staff shut the doors until I refused to move or let them do what they were going to do to me. I also sputtered stuff like don't you care about dignity, privacy or humiliation of your patient?  I also put this in the evaluation form they sent me.    Sorry you have had so much trouble, it will get better.