Gadtric Fistula many Years Post Op

Chilipepper
on 11/9/14 12:06 am
On November 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, JoyfulOverload wrote:

Hi All, 

Looking for information from WLS patients that developed a gastric fistula and had it repaired.  My question is were you able to loose the regained weight once the fistula was repaired? Any share is appreciated. Trying to decide if the repair to the fistula along with removing the part of the stomach not used  so I don't feel hunger will be enough. Dr. offered distal revision but I'm already so deficient needing iron transfusions because I don't absorb iron and b12 shots weekly.

I keep forgetting to actually answer your key question. Once the fistula is repaired and the blind stomach is removed. You WILL be able to start losing weight again.

Revisng to a DS is tricky but possible with an experienced surgeon under normal cir****tances. Once you have the fistula and depending on the amount of damage that is determined, revising to a DS is not always an option. Once mine was fixed I started to lose weight again until it was then discovered my original bypass was a botched mechanical failure. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

smiles2561
on 11/16/14 1:31 pm

I had my original surgery in 1990. Revisions i***** due to severe ulceration and 2011, due to two fistulas! I have had so many complications over the years, I could probably write a book! But after the fistulas were repaired, things didn't get better for me, I didn't feel so hungry afterwards. I think mine was considered a botched surgery because my anatomy was so goofed up and there is nothing much left to my digestive system! I suffer from hiatal hernia, severe acid reflux, and Chronic Pancreatitis, amongst other things. I don't want to go into all the things that have occurred over the years here, because it would take a few pages. I have a pain under my right ribs that has not gone away since my second year post op, but gets better and worse at times! It is good to know I am not alone though and I wish you all Good Luck! But as it has been said very much, the surgery is a physical fix but not a mental or emotional one, and that is most of the battle! If I had known where I would be now, suffering, I probably would have just stayed the way I was and try some other way years later, since it has been updated! Take care and I hope you will soon feel better!

JoyfulOverload
on 2/21/16 1:16 pm

UPDATE

I had my gastric fistula repaired and my stoma reduced by Apollo Overstitch on July 27, 2015.

My story is posted in the revision forum under the title:

After Apollo Overstitch to correct Gastric Fistula & Reduce Stoma