Regret

Ashley Schuster
on 11/8/14 12:08 am

At the time that I had the VSG I had two hiatal hernia repairs and it made my esophagus really tight. So, at first when is swallow, I had the gas bubbles and that awful tightness to contend with. Now it's not so bad and I have to admit that I got somewhat complacent. It felt like I was drinking so much I was drowning (can you tell I'm sort of dramatic?) but, like the ladies below said, it's not want to, it's need to. So I will. :) after having become more hydrated (and adding Miralax) I feel much better.

Mary Gee
on 11/7/14 4:08 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

The first two weeks to a month post-op are the worst of it.  You must force liquids in so you don't get dehydrated. Try different temperatures, and have some broth and sugar-free pops.

Once you get to the pureed stage you'll feel like you're in heaven.

It does take time to physically recover.  Next month you'll be so glad you had the surgery.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Ashley Schuster
on 11/8/14 12:05 am

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. 

Hislady
on 11/7/14 4:46 am - Vancouver, WA

You should probably call your doc and see if they want to give you IV hydration to get you back on track a little quicker, it couldn't hurt if you are feeling that bad.

Ashley Schuster
on 11/8/14 12:05 am

They did some blood draws. I'll see what he says. Hopefully I've improved enough that I'll escape the IV. :p

Nina1119
on 11/7/14 5:56 am - CA
VSG on 10/22/14

Same surgery date, 11-22-14.  I too struggle with getting my water and protein in.  The emotional highs and lows.  Constipation, nausea and headaches in the morning, I don't even want to brush my teeth cause I can get sick.  Number one, get your fluids in, water, vitamin water, crystal light, ice pops, it's all good, then your protein shakes.  I had to go back, wasn't getting enough protein with mushy foods.  Keep your head up, this is only temporary.  It' s a journey and we'll find our way out of this and into a better state of being.  We're all here to support each other.

Surgery Date:  10-22-14, Dr. Monali Misra, Marina Del Rey, CA

Ashley Schuster
on 11/8/14 12:03 am

That's really close to what I'm experiencing. Almost everything I smell makes my stomach turn. I'm going to GNC to look into flavorless protein and I'll see if I can't sneak it in without "me" knowing! ;D I was able to start mushy on Wednesday but I'm not going to until I feel like I've mastered the protein shake. 

Michele H.
on 11/7/14 7:10 am - NJ

I could not force down plain water for months.  I mixed apple juice 50/50 with water. Yes, it has calories, sugar and carbs but it kept my liquid intake where it should be and I lost weight just fine.  Try it.  I don't need to do it anymore but at the beginning it was the only way I got liquids in me.

Michele

Ashley Schuster
on 11/8/14 12:01 am

I can tolerate water well. I had a hiatal hernia repair so it was extra tight and uncomfortable for the first little while. Then I got sloppy and lazy. I'm back on it now! :D Thanks for the idea though! I love apple juice.

Valerie G.
on 11/7/14 8:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There's no crying with WLS.  Your body is reacting because you're not treating it right, by refusing to give it what it needs to heal properly.  This isn't about want - it's about need, so get your emotions out of this. 

• Drink because your body needs it, not because you're thirsty or something tastes good.  64oz is the daily goal, not something to work up to....ready Set GO!
      Dehydration causes fatigue, nausea and constipation...sound familiar?
    • Eat or drink your protein as recommended by your doctor - it won't taste good, accept it, and just do it or find some soft food that will take it's place (I recommend baked custard or ricotta).  The best you can hope for is "doesn't suck" instead of delicious
    • Rest - you need it...especially since you've gotten yourself dehydrated. 

You've gone this far, now you owe it to yourself to finish the job.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes