How often do you weigh yourself after surgery?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/6/14 8:22 am - OH

It really depends on what works best for YOU.  For me, weighing 3 times a week was best when I was losing quickly, but then I switched to just once a week after several months because I was focusing too much on the scale numebr rather than focusing on changing my habits and dealing with the "head issues".  The sacks will eventually stop moving, but if you don't establish good eating/exercise habits and don't do the psychological/emotional work, the scale will eventually start moving in the wrong direction.

It really depends on how you deal with what the scale says.  If the daily fluctuations (or seeing the scale not move for several weeks during a stall) are going to make you crazy, or if your moods are affected by what the scale says, stay off of it as much as possible while losing.

It becomes more important to weigh regularly when you are in maintenance so you know if the scale starts to creep back up a little.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

huskergalWsD
on 11/6/14 10:23 am

2X a day everyday, morning and night, has kept me on track for 7 years , no regain.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

NYMom222
on 11/6/14 1:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I weigh everyday and have no problem with that. I only record the weight once a week though. I had my surgery on a Wednesday, so I record on Wednesdays and also record on my month anniversaries. So I know how much I lost for the month also.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Han Shot First
on 11/6/14 9:31 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I really only wanted to weigh myself once a week, on Mondays, but I find myself doing it a couple more times during the week.  I'm also the type that would drive myself crazy if I weighed any more than that.  

I like the idea of TrendWeight.com though.  I may have to start using that.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

LookingForOnederlan
d

on 11/6/14 10:24 pm - Shelbyville, TN

I am a daily weigher, most days more than once!!  I weigh first thing every morning, sometimes I weigh once I get home from the gym and have a shower (noonish) and most days right before I go to bed. I only record my weight weekly, so my Thursday morning weight is what "counts". I agree this could drive someone else crazy, but it works for me to keep me accountable, and to see specific trends that can affect my body (salt, carbs, not enough liquids, etc.). But I am a "newbie" and this is what works for me as of now. Good luck in your journey!! I also will be investigating TrendWeight...

Sleeved on 6/19/2014  Hw 277  Sw 254   Cw  142  Gw 135

M1 -20  M2 -10  M3 -11  M4 -11  M5 -11  M6 -8  M7 -8  M8 -8  M9 -1  M10 -8  M11 -4  M12 -2  M13-18-5

ONEderland 10/15/2014

lexibelle
on 11/7/14 12:28 am - Federal Way, WA
DS on 09/19/14

Honestly, I weigh daily. However, I also know that I can see the number on the scale and not freak up if it goes up a pound or two. I've been weighing daily for a few years, so I'm familiar with natural weight fluctuations that have nothing to do with true gain. Yeah, it's annoying when the scale doesn't move (for 2 weeks ... grr!), but it makes me feel like I'm more in tune with what my body's doing.

What will work for you, however, may be totally different. You may do fine with weighing once a week or even once a month. I'd say try a few out and see where you feel comfortable. I know that I'd personally go nuts if I had to wait a week :p

MAchick
on 11/7/14 4:02 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I weigh myself every day,  but I've weighed myself every day fire years. And I'm not bothered by fluctuations. A lot of people do it once a week. Trial and error to find what works for you! 

swimbikerun
on 11/11/14 1:16 am

I dont weigh. I use my clothes.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Member Services
on 11/11/14 1:46 am - Irvine, CA

If you are still losing, often is best.  Some do it everyday if you does not make you crazy. If it does, rely more on measurements and strength.  After hitting goal, most do it a couple of times a week but again judge by how cloths fit.  Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing  

JazzyOne9254
on 11/11/14 6:12 am

One of the hardest things to do for me was to break myself of the habit of jumping onto the scale every day upon rising.  I would suggest putting the scale away, where you cannot see it, or have someone else hide it, so you don't know where it is.   for the first few months, make it a point to only weigh at doctor visits.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!