Self-pay

Cfannin
on 11/7/14 1:45 pm

So Wls is excluded from my ins plan. What is the average price for surgery? I was told by one doctor that a band was 16000. Just want to see what others have paid. 

Eggface
on 11/8/14 12:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Self pay prices are negotiable and will vary greatly from state to state... type of surgery, surgeon's fees, anesthesiologist and hospital fees. Remember too... any complications may not be covered by insurance either.

I'd give wlsappeals.com a call Walt is great (an attorney, also a post WLSer) and he may find a way to get your surgery covered... excluded is often just "if deemed medically necessary" and that just may require some additional documentation and tests. 

Also take a look at the Obesity Action Coalitions guide to working with insurance companies http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/brochures -and-guides/oac-insurance-guide

Sending you best wishes!! It is worth every hoop I promise.

~Michelle "Shelly"

P.S. I was a self pay in Mexico. medical tourism is not an option for everyone but it worked out great for me. There is a Mexico forum here on OH where people share their experiences. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 11/8/14 1:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Good golly, if you're going to self-pay, don't go for something with such a low success rate.  Don't dismiss the idea of leaving the country, either.  VSG is the better choice for restriction-only, and you can get it for half that price ...prolly including travel costs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cfannin
on 11/8/14 12:02 pm

I don't think Mexico will work for me, but thank you for the information.

NYMom222
on 11/8/14 11:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, first don't look at Lap-band prices. Some people have been successful, yes.. but the odds are against success and the risk of longer term complication and further surgery to eventually remove is more likely. Do a search on Mexico surgery, many people are happy with it. I also read about a doc in Michigan that had a lot of out-of-state patients coming in and between him and the hospital there was a flat fee. I am not sure about complications not being covered part, I think that would depend on your insurance, and wondering if that has changed any with Obamacare. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

4ourkids
on 11/8/14 11:57 am
with

I was a self pay in Mexico, several people had used my surgeon and I highly recommend him. It was a smooth process. My insurance didn't cover WLS and now that we have new insurance it does however only with co morbidities(which I have non of).