rapid heart beat

drkimmy
on 11/5/14 11:45 am

I had my bipass surgery over 5 years ago and have done very well. I lost 125 pounds and was able to go off several meds. Recently however I have had a rapid heart beat and high pulse rate after I eat. I've seen  several doctors but no one knows what's going on. Has anyone else had this happen? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/14 12:11 pm

Too many sugars/carbs in a meal do that to me. 

Even worse is when i eat food that i have allergy to.  I developed allergy to dairy (proteins) and severe allergy to soy. Plus i have glutton sensitivity / Intolerance.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MickeyDee
on 11/5/14 3:12 pm

Sounds like 'dumping' to me; make sure you're not eating something too high in simple carbs.  That is what triggers me.

Amy R.
on 11/5/14 4:21 pm

I second what Mickey Dee said.   Does your heart rate slow back down within 30 minutes or so?  Does it beat so rapidly you feel the need to lay down?  

Full on dumping is more than just a rapid heartbeat, but increased heart rate is one of several symptoms of dumping syndrome.  The easiest way to tell if this is dumping is to examine what you've eaten just prior to these episodes.  Sugars (and for some folks fats) trigger the dumping reaction within 20 to 45 minutes of being consumed.

Irisher
on 11/6/14 4:43 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 12/27/12

I have also experienced rapid heartbeat after eating. For me, it has happened when I've eaten too much or too quickly (which results in the misery of trapped air bubbles). Too many curbs have triggered it for me, too. Fortunately, I haven't made these mistakes often, but when I have, my heart would race for about 30 minutes. On the two very memorable occasions when I really overdid it, I had full-on dumping: weakness, shakiness, nausea, and racing heart along with an unavoidable need to sleep it off for about an hour.