How can I order my steak?

purplecow
on 11/3/14 10:00 am

Hello, after meeting with my VSG coordinator, she informed me that after I start eating regular foods again, the only way I can eat steak is to order it rare or medium.  Yuck...too much blood. 

Have ya'll ever heard of this?  Usually, I eat mine well-done. Thanks!

MsBatt
on 11/3/14 10:39 am

I used to eat mine well-done, too, but after surgery I found medium to be more digestible---and I enjoyed it more, too!

Gwen M.
on 11/3/14 10:45 am, edited 11/3/14 10:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Heh.  You say "yuck too much blood" and I think "yuck who wants to eat shoe leather."  :P  

Overcooked meats will be tough and dry, and the name of the game post-op is all about moisture.  So, yes, you might have trouble with overcooked meats.  

(And it's myoglobin, not blood.  http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juic e-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/14 10:55 am - OH

Yep, that is a common recommendation because, as the others have mentioned, it is very difficult to chew well-done (or even medium well) meat to mush. I know you had VSG, but for RNYers who are reading this, you do NOT want to get dry, insufficiently chewed meat stuck in your stoma, because it will hurt.

I used to eat medium well also (because my father didn't like the "blood"), but it was way too much trouble to chew it post-op and then I discovered that I actually prefer medium.  More flavorful and definitely more moist. I definitely couldn't do rare, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/3/14 11:53 am - OH

I assume you can order it any way you want to.  Your VSG coordinator won't be ordering your food for you, will she?

You might find it difficult to eat if it is well done, though.  But you can certainly try it and if you can tolerate it that way, then there is no reason you shouldn't eat it that way.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/3/14 5:32 pm, edited 11/3/14 5:32 pm

Taste changes after WLS.  I love my rare to med rare good filet. Any other steak is now not only not appealing nor tasty for me.  Even medium but well aged filet are so good. 

I learned to order rare- medium rare because most restaurants tend to overcook the steaks. Since I typically order small 4-6 oz, medium steak, it is many time well - to very well done - and that is too tough for me.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VSG on 06/12/13

I had a lovely filet yesterday for lunch cooked medium well and it was great. I cut it into dice-sized pieces, took my time, and chewed well. No problems then or any of the other times I have done that with chicken or pork, either!

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Bette B.
on 11/3/14 11:52 pm

If a steak is properly rested, there shouldn't be too much blood coming out of it. Besides, the blood is good for you, as it's got a lot of vitamins in it.

But oh - please be kind to the steak - a steak should always be medium rare or rare. I, personally, prefer mine to be still mooing, if possible. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

MsBatt
on 11/4/14 5:00 am, edited 11/4/14 5:01 am
On November 4, 2014 at 7:52 AM Pacific Time, Bette B. wrote:

If a steak is properly rested, there shouldn't be too much blood coming out of it. Besides, the blood is good for you, as it's got a lot of vitamins in it.

But oh - please be kind to the steak - a steak should always be medium rare or rare. I, personally, prefer mine to be still mooing, if possible. 

LOL! My dad always wanted his steak well-done. If it came too rare for him, he'd often comment "I've seen cows burned worse than this in a brush fire that lived!"

My uncle, on the other hand, always said "Wipe its butt and put it on a plate!"

purplecow
on 11/4/14 10:33 am

OH wow! thanks everyone!  ya;ll are a great bunch of folks!  Peace