UTI

Marlene D.
on 11/3/14 8:08 am

Are weight loss surgery patients more susceptible to getting urianary tract infection?

Marlene

Karen M.
on 11/3/14 9:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

Not that I'm aware of at 8.5 years post-op and not having had one since surgery. Why would you think that?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Marlene D.
on 11/3/14 9:32 pm

Well cuz I was never bothered with it before and after I asked the question on here, I goggled it and it brought me to this site and some people said it was an issue with them..

Marlene

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/14 9:38 pm - OH

Perhaps you aren't getting enpugh nutrition and your body is having trouble fighting off infections.  That can definitely be a problem for early post-ops.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/14 10:58 am - OH

No.  Your digestive system and urinary system are completely separate and there isn't anything about altering the digestive system that makes you more prone to infections of any kind. RNYers are more prone to kidney stones, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tracy D.
on 11/4/14 2:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have recently been having problems with this because I'm struggling to completely empty my bladder due to my excess stomach skin hanging down and putting pressure on that area.  I have to list up my panni and bend over in order to get my bladder completely empty.   

I've had two UTI's in the last couple months...and that's 2 more than I've had in the last 15 years.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15