Referral sent in...telling people

Molly83
on 11/1/14 10:03 pm - Canada

Hi, 

I saw my family doctor back in June and he sent a referral to the OWMC. Apparently something needed redoing and now instead of being referred in June they have me in the pile of people referred in August. I found this out by calling. Very frustrated but trying to be patient. So as I wait for the orientation session I debate telling anyone. Any suggestions on telling anyone? How long did you wait to tell people? Can I do this on my own until I need a ride to the hospital for surgery?  This is what I think about while I wait for orientation, aside from when will that letter come.

I do enjoy reading through this forum, it is very helpful to read through...thank you

Valerie G.
on 11/2/14 2:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Once my surgery was scheduled, I told everyone.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poet_kelly
on 11/2/14 3:39 am - OH

I told people much like I would tell them about any other surgery.  How long would you wait to tell people you were having your gall bladder removed or a hip replacement or a hysterectomy?  Would you wait until you need a ride to the hospital or tell people in advance?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bubbles314
on 11/2/14 5:35 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I told people I was going to a WLS seminar (first step in the process for me).  If people didn't ask I didn't mention it for awhile until I had more info to share.  Not everyone was supportive, they felt I should be able to lose on my own. (several discussions about why I could not, meds, etc.)  If they asked questions I answered as best I could.  Meanwhile I kept digging for info for myself, it is a major surgery and I wanted to make an informed decision, and I did.  Good luck

Gwen M.
on 11/2/14 8:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Pre-op, I only told people who needed to know in case I died on the table.  So.. my partners, my parents, my brother, and my three best friends.  I also told my voice teacher because my recovery had an impact on my lessons.  

I wrestled with telling people post-op, and finally did about 4 months post-op.  I think I just needed to be sure that things were going to work and that I felt secure.  My friends have been nothing but supportive, since they're awesome :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bikrchk
on 11/5/14 3:44 am

I told everyone and am still very open about it. My only regret is telling HR as they made my return to work more difficult when it didn't need to be.

Sweat is fat crying