Will they do surgery if you have a cold?

mrereedhead
on 11/2/14 12:12 pm - Canada

I've been waiting almost 2 years for my surgery and since going on optifast I've had a really bad cold.  I did get better but now I feel like my throat is hurting again and surgery is on Thursday.  I have to travel 10 hours away to have it done and i leave Tuesday.  Will they still do surgery if I have a cold?  I'm really trying not to freak out but this extremely low calorie diet has taken a toll on me and sent my immune system into shock.  I haven't had a cold in a year and now I had a huge crash where I lost my voice completely for 2 days and then got double pink eye.  As I said I've recovered but my husband has the cold and I feel like he's given it back to me. :(

Poodlemac
on 11/2/14 1:27 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

My guess would be they'll still do it if it's just a cold and you don't have fever. If it were me, I'd start loading some Airborne just as a cushion!! Good luck!  I think we all fear getting sick just before a big day. Try not to think about it. Keep us posted!

tstowe
on 11/3/14 1:31 am

My wife had a cold. As long as your breathing is OK, you are fine.

mrereedhead
on 11/3/14 1:35 am - Canada

Thanks, my airways are clear so far, just a sore throat.

poet_kelly
on 11/3/14 2:20 am - OH

It would depend on how sick are.  If your lungs are clear and you don't have a fever, they probably will.  If your lungs are congested or you have a fever, they might not.  I suggest calling your surgeon's office today to discuss it with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.