1 month post op VGS. does it get better?

Chilipepper
on 11/2/14 8:07 am

No gastric Bypass. My surgery is a little more involved than just your restrictive procedure but early post op issues are the same for everyone. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Gwen M.
on 11/2/14 8:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm about 8 months out and I can eat 4 ounces per meal.  I'm pretty fine with that :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Trixiebell55
on 11/2/14 11:50 am

It depends on what I'm eating, if I'm eating a salad with chicken, 5 bites and I'm done. If I eat protein, I get a few ml ore bites in. I'm 11 weeks post op, and it does get a little better. 

TheNewT
on 11/2/14 10:06 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

My surgeon says it can take some up to 3 months to heal. This came in response to my stating that I struggle to get my 2 oz down. This was at my 6 week check up. Fast forward another 6 weeks and all of a sudden it is getting easier. It was literally overnight. I woke up Thursday and noticed that it didn't take 1 1/2 hours to drink my 20 of water. It only took an hour. Then I noticed I was able to get that 2 oz of chicken breast down easier. It got better for me and helped me to reach my protein goals set by my NUT.

MaggieDoodle
on 11/2/14 10:31 pm
VSG on 09/08/14

I had the same experience. I could only eat a few bites at a time and felt uncomfortable from the first bite. I despaired of ever eating "normally" again. Then, at five weeks, I went through a two-week period of nausea and complete lack of interest in food. Ugh! I was kicking myself for having the surgery in the first place. I am eight weeks out today and in the past week a monumental shift has taken place. I can comfortably eat 3-4 ounces of food and it completely satisfies me. Everything tastes wonderful, and I am enjoying adding new foods as allowed. 

So hang in there! It does get better!

Maggie

meghaneileen816
on 11/2/14 10:47 pm

Thanks everyone! 

Willie H.
on 11/3/14 6:35 am
VSG on 08/26/14

SO IMPORTANT that you CHEW your food very much! Very Much-that is the KEY!!! It'll help it go down. I'm at 2 months out (8/26/14) and i'm learning that you have to chew, chew, chew!!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Ms Shell
on 11/4/14 6:58 am - Hawthorne, CA

Yes you will and then you'll regret that you can eat more (or maybe just complain, regret might be to harsh a word).

Ms Shell

bikrchk
on 11/5/14 3:40 am

Even at 1 year out, I'm most comfortable with 3-6 oz of food at a time.  I do eat about 5 times per day and it is not uncommon for my "snacks" to actually be higher calories than my "meals". Think about it, a PowerCrunch protein bar has over 200 calories, that 3oz hunk of grilled chicken? Not that much! My surgeon does a 90% sleeve so mine may be tighter than many. At 1 month out, I have to say I was still pretty uncomfortable after eating. It takes a while for the swelling to go down. That part will get better as you heal and introduce regular food again.

Sweat is fat crying

Tweetatweet
on 11/8/14 6:58 pm - Arlington, TX

I am not even a month out and I am getting bummed with this liquid diet. I had my surgery 10/21. I am able to eat soupy grits. Everything hurts once it gets down to my stomach. I am having trouble getting hot or cold things down.I was able to eat some egg white cut up. I can't wait to eat some solid food again.