long process Vs Short process for Surgery

ClaudiaW
on 11/2/14 4:25 am - Rockwall, TX

I thought I was one of the very lucky ones. When I decided to have surgery. I looked for a doctor who took my insurance (ChampVA) and 8 weeks later I had surgery. I thought I was prepared but really I was not. I think had I had to do some of the things I read that others must go thru I would have been better prepared. I had surgery Oct 21. I havent had any "problems". I just didnt know how hard this journey is, Its no ones fault, My doctors office didnt do anything wrong or misinform me about anything. 

I am the mom of 7 kids although not all at home but 5 are. I still have to cook for them or they cook, I have wonderful kids.  I have a very busy life and I guess I thought I would only slow down for a week and id be back to me.

Now dont get me wrong. Im glad I made the choice to have the surgery. I have no regrets I just was not emotionally prepared and didnt realize that the surgery is hard on you physically. I have had to have a crash course in nutrition. And figuring out the vitamins and how to get my protein in. Im sure in time it will all be fine. I am less than two weeks from surgery and down 16lbs. I just thought I would share that having to take a few classes and have several appointments is not a bad thing. I think it would have helped me alot.

Annakay76
on 11/2/14 5:39 am

I just started the process which should take 3-6 months and I have been watching you tube videos and reading on here trying to absorb as much info as I can to prepare! I have 5 kids, one will be in the navy by the time I have surgery but I do a lot of the cooking too! I figured I'd prep before hand. Awesome job on the 16 lbs lost already!!! 

ClaudiaW
on 11/2/14 6:40 am - Rockwall, TX

Thanks so much. I really havent had any medical problems. Ive been able to get my fluids fine.  I tried several protien type things and have found premier protein drinks the very best. I get my protien that way. Ill be honest when I came home. I was hungry. Im not sure if it was a mental thing or not. I also only told a few people i was having surgery, not that I didnt want people to know. Im just kinda a private person. I dont post my life on facebook. So because of this I havent talked to very many people about this.

iloveravens
on 11/2/14 9:27 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I could have written this myself!  I decided on 6/25/14 that I wanted surgery and was scheduled for 8/12/14.  I can totally relate to this post!  I am so thankful for this site, I've learned so much from everyone.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Valerie G.
on 11/3/14 12:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Things are so different anymore.  You see people spending one night in the hospital and back to work next week.  It's like somebody somewhere is putting pressure on the medical community to not allow us to heal completely.  When I had my DS 9 years ago, it was understood that you would be down for 6-8 weeks.  It took me 6 to just not feel so listless anymore, so I was glad to have the extra 2 weeks to try to get a routine together before I returned to work.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes