TASTE BUD CHANGES

blmsdm
on 11/1/14 12:13 pm - sherman, TX

Why does bariatric surgery cause changes to your taste buds

NYMom222
on 11/1/14 3:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Well yes and no. Your tastes for things change and from what I understand can change back. I know my tasting preferences have changed on and off over the last 3+ month. Just think its part of the journey. I was just thinking today the protein shakes aren't bothering me so much anymore...there was a point about 6 weeks out I thought I was going to barf every time I had one.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 11/1/14 6:54 pm, edited 11/1/14 6:54 pm - Warren, OH

I used to have a stomach the size of a two-liter bottle of soda and now I have one that holds less than a cup.  So I am no longer concerned with filling up my stomach.  I am eating a small amount and care more about taste. 

I believe my sense of smell is much stronger after surgery.  I want flavorful and spicy foods and want them to taste good because I am only going to eat a few tablespoons. I no longer do mindless eating and am aware of the taste of every bite of food.

I don't think my taste buds changed, just that I am more aware of them now that I am not trying to stuff food in. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bubbles314
on 11/1/14 10:56 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Before surgery I did not have a problem with chicken broth.  When I was in the hospital and had chicken broth it gagged me.  I was on clear liquids for a week after surgery so tried it again when I got home and it just did not taste good.  However I was never a big hot tea drinker (I like coffee) but hot tea is what tastes good now.  Broth mixed in with food is ok.  Maybe when I can have caffeine again coffee will be ok, never found a caffeine free coffee I liked.  I was told by my Dr that taste can change or not, depends on the person.  I was also told my taste could change back.  

swimbikerun
on 11/2/14 1:19 am

Excellent question. Ketosis? Changes in ghrelin, one of the hormones, may also have something to do with it. Tong J, Mannea, E, Aime P, et al. Ghrelin enhances olfactory sensitivity and exploratory sniffing in rodents and humans. Journal of Neuroscience. 2011;31(15):5841–5846 was the quote going along with the info I saw.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

burghblonde
on 11/2/14 6:12 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Honestly, I have totally lost my sweet tooth but I attribute that more to not eating those types of foods.

Opposite end of the spectrum, I also notice that I crave salt...mainly chips or french fries. Horrific right?? I never even liked potatoes prior to surgery. Not mashed, not fried. Weird.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

bikrchk
on 11/5/14 3:53 am

Immediately post-op I kind of lost my taste for thick, milky protein shakes and switched to a water based product, (Nectar).  I think it was more about consistency and what felt good in my tummy than anything at that point.  I can do a milky shake now, but I prefer a bar.  Nowadays, I'm a bit more picky about my choices as I don't have to worry about "filling up". I choose things I really want prepared how I like them because I know I'm only gonna get a few bites, I like to make them count!

Sweat is fat crying

blmsdm
on 11/6/14 10:23 pm - sherman, TX

Thanks.  Good to here about only what is really good to since you don't eat much. I will have to keep that in mind

elaynemu
on 11/7/14 1:55 am

I haven't had my surgery yet but when I went to a seminar on it  at Kaiser, they had a 5 year post op patient who had had the RNY.  She said that from the day she got home from the hospital, she has not been able to stand bananas.  Not even the smell.  She said before the surgery she loved bananas. I don't know why but apparently, it happens quite often.