Plz Help! 5yrs later & the Weight is returning!

TxAli369
on 11/2/14 1:20 am

Any advice or information given is desperately needed and greatly appreciated!!

I had my band done during the summer of 2009. Lost over 110+ pounds! Yay!! So happy! Here's the issue I'm having:

November 2013: Weight = 160 pounds

November 2014: Weight = 182 pounds

Over 22+ pounds in 12 months!  Almost 2 pounds a month?? (I would have to eat an extra 230 calories a day). What makes this even more confusing is the fact that I have not changed my eating habits - AND - I am now able to do so much more! 

My Doctor has checked my thyroid. That's not the issue.  Any other ideas? Any suggestions on how to jump start my New Weight Loss plan?

Thank you all so much!

~alexx

[email protected]

dccyr
on 11/2/14 1:00 am

Telling us yo haven't changed your eating habits doesn't really help us.  what are your eating habits, do you journal your food?  Are you exercising?  How often do you weigh?  Haven't you been tracking your weight as you go along?  We can't help without more information.  

VSG on 06/12/13

How old are you? Could you be old enough for peri menopause? Hormonal changes can change the game considerably. What other lifestyle changes - positive or negative - have you had? How cleanly are you eating? Could excess preservatives/additives be at play?

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Kate -True Brit
on 11/2/14 2:55 am - UK

Unless there is a medical issue, you are taking in more calories than you are burning. As we get older, we need fewer calories, when we weigh less we need fewer.

Are you really sure you have not let portion sizes get larger, a few more treats, extra glasses of wine?

like you, I am banded. Our weight changes are simply down to our food intake. I found maintaining easy for a good few years but bad habits slip in. I have had two major regains, both of which I have managed to lose. And both of which wre entirely down to poor food choices. 

I suggest a few weeks of measuring and recording every mouthful. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 11/2/14 2:57 am - UK

By the way, I suggest you remove your e mail address. Never a good idea to have that on a public board. 

Laura in Texas
on 11/2/14 4:02 am

Either your metabolism has slowed down (which does happen as we grow older), your portion sizes are larger than you think, or a combination of both. I suggest getting out the measuring cups and food scale and tracking every bite to help you lose the weight.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LouiseMary00
on 11/2/14 9:10 am - Canada

Hi,

After about 5 years I also gained 20 lbs and I was eating/exercise the same amount.  No one discusses the 20 pound bounce back.  Your body absorbs more calories at about the 2 year mark.  I wish I had learned about the 20 lbs gain earlier because it would of stopped all the bad emotions I felt. Since I gained 20 pounds I went back into the old cycle of eating crap and thinking I would lose the weight next week.  The week turned into a year of eating crap and I gained back 50 pounds.  Here is the good part... I have since lost 20 lbs by giving up the crap foods and cutting back on carbs.  I still have 30 to lose but I will lose it.  What I am trying to say is don't go down the bad thinking old bad habits road that I went down.  Keep exercising and eating well and your body will balance out.  Good luck and remember your tool still works:)

Kate -True Brit
on 11/3/14 2:53 am - UK
On November 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Pacific Time, LouiseMary00 wrote:

Hi,

After about 5 years I also gained 20 lbs and I was eating/exercise the same amount.  No one discusses the 20 pound bounce back.  Your body absorbs more calories at about the 2 year mark.  I wish I had learned about the 20 lbs gain earlier because it would of stopped all the bad emotions I felt. Since I gained 20 pounds I went back into the old cycle of eating crap and thinking I would lose the weight next week.  The week turned into a year of eating crap and I gained back 50 pounds.  Here is the good part... I have since lost 20 lbs by giving up the crap foods and cutting back on carbs.  I still have 30 to lose but I will lose it.  What I am trying to say is don't go down the bad thinking old bad habits road that I went down.  Keep exercising and eating well and your body will balance out.  Good luck and remember your tool still works:)

Bounce back is not inevitable and may be more common with malabsorptive surgeries. Banded people have no malabsorption and so there is no physiological reason for regain other than increased intake or less activity. However, a lower weight means fewer calories are needed. 

LouiseMary00
on 11/3/14 8:30 am - Canada

Hi,

I noticed the different surgeries after my post.  Your correct with bounce back it is more common with RNY.