My Trip to the E R last night confirms my Cat Scan showed I have several Hernias and thats not...

huskergalWsD
on 11/1/14 2:04 am

Cat scan also showed I have a lump in my Lungs.. How I wished I just had the Sleeve.Whats done is done I keep saying..I am sore as heck today. Hernia repairs start on Monday. Weird how the Cat scan last April did not show the Hernias.

I just hope now that I have to be on bed rest that I don't regain.  Then more testing, biopsy's. I am one worn out lady. Still proud of no regain.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

charminglearner
on 11/1/14 2:13 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Hang in there!  Hope you recover smoothly from these setbacks!

huskergalWsD
on 11/1/14 2:49 am

No more riding horses.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/14 5:17 am - OH

If you didn't have the hernia (hernias, plural??) in April then it's possible that riding the horses contributed to the hernia by stressing the weak spot(s) in the muscle.

I can understand no horseback riding for a while, but why has the doctor ordered bed rest?

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Poodlemac
on 11/1/14 2:58 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I'm so sorry you're going thru all this. I'm curious why you feel the sleeve may have had a different outcome. 

Chilipepper
on 11/1/14 3:37 am

I think you said the hernias were from trotting on your horse, but the lump on the lung isn't from getting the bypass vs the sleeve, neither are. Before the hernias I would go see an oncologist instead

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Bubbles314
on 11/1/14 4:05 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm sorry for what your going through, I know it must be scary.   I don't know how to help you.  Prayers and hugs coming your way.

Be kind to yourself and take care. Listen to the Dr's orders.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/14 5:14 am - OH

Okay, I am very confused! Why do you think that your current situation with the hernia or the lung "lump" would be any different if you would had VSG instead of Roux-en-Y?

Not everything medical that happens after someone has had a RNY is because of the RNY!

Lora

huskergalWsD
on 11/1/14 7:37 am

Well I strongly believe the rerouting my intestines contributed to the Hernias,  Your intestines are not rerouted with the Sleeve..Doctor on staff at the E R said I have had the Hernias for a long time. I only know about for the last 2 years, been riding horse for 4 1/2 years.I am on bed rest for awhile not for the rest of my life. It dosent take much to regain.and yes riding the horse did contribute to this, so the doctor sez.. Doctor mentioned the lump in my lungs may have something to do with when I had open heart surgery, and went through respitory failure when doctors administered Morphine. I'll be having a sleep study done again checking my oxygen levels at night..

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/14 11:54 am - OH

Whatever they do while they are inside of you (re-routing of intestines or not) has NO effect whatsoever on weakness in the muscle (which is what results in a hernia).  So they could open you up, close you back up without doing anything whatsoever, and the chances of deve loping a hernia are exactly the same as if they did a RNY, a VSG, a DS, an appendectomy, etc..  No matter how much you WANT to blame your RNY for your hernia (and want to believe that you would not have gotten it if you had a VSG instead), it simply isn't so.  

Also, there is no way for a doctor to tell from a scan how long you hage had a hernia, so if the ER doctor told you that you hage had it/them for a long time, he is taking out of his ass.

Just being obese and having large amounts of fat in your abdominal cavity, BTW, can cause muscle stretching which then can weaken the muscle and result in a hernia.  

I still don't understand why they put you in bed rest (even temporarily... I certainly didn't believe that you were put on lifetime bed rest!!) just for a hernia....