Deciding between sleeve and RNY?

NYMom222
on 10/31/14 2:12 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had the Bypass recently. My doctor recommended it, I think a lot of doctors recommend it if you have a 50+ BMI. DS was not an option for me. No surgeons around me did it and I don't think my insurance covered it anyway. My niece is 10 years out from gastric bypass and has kept off 120 pounds. She does not seem to struggle with it.  I think you have to have a talk with the surgeon too and see what they recommend and why.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chilipepper
on 10/31/14 11:18 pm

Everyone here has recommended the surgeries they have had and very very few have experience with more than their original surgery. I am not going to be and different. I love my bypass. I have had some serious complications but overall it was the best decision for me. I never have been fond of a restrictive only procedure.  While you can learn to eat around any surgery it is easier with a restriction only surgery.   You have to look at your medical needs not your wants and chose the best surgery that will help you achieve your goal. If you are on the heavier side. I am afraid long term restriction only may not be as effective as a bypass or DS where you can lose a larger portion of your excess weight early on and then maintence is easier. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Eggface
on 11/1/14 2:06 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I had RNY 8 years ago. Maintaining my 150+ weight loss. No complications in 8 years, only dumped a handful of times (icky lasts about 1 hour for me, heart racing, sweats) but I am very compliant to my plan. I had GERD severe so it was probably the best choice for me given recent studies http://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/laparoscopic-sleeve-g astrectomy-did-not-relieve-resolve-gerd-symptoms/ and VSG was not as readily available back then. I still would have chosen RNY though because of the GERD thing. This year's labs were perfect in all areas except I was low in iron despite taking it faithfully and eating a great diet, infusions (2, 30 minute sessions of injectafer seem to do the trick and bump my #'s back up.) I am happy with my choice but I tend to believe after the first year or so "success" has less to do with what type of surgery you have and more about working on the head stuff.

Best wishes on your research. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/14 5:36 am - OH

I would suggest that you go to the magnifying glass search function, type in "sleeve or bypass ", and there you will find literally hundreds of previous answers to the same question.  It comes up several times every week, and there are some lengthy responses that people have repeated a number of times already and probably aren't going to re-type again... Just the nature of repetitious questions, not anything against you.)

My short answer is that although I had RNY seven years ago (and don't regret having done it and lost the weight at all!), if sleeve had been available then (or if I were making the decision now), I would have opted for the sleeve. IMO, the temporary caloric malabsorption (18-24 months) just isn't worth the permanent permanent lack of vitamin absorption of the Roux-en-Y and the increased risk of things like kidney stones and reactive hypoglycemia.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.