Desicions desicions.....

Micah
on 11/1/14 2:08 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

o wow that is amazing! I am happy to hear it worked so well for you  . I am to nervous  about the switch, however that is one reason I am leaning toward the sleeve because if I had to I could go back and do the switch but! I really don't want two surgery's .  so I don't know I have a few weeks to decide when they call me for my date he said to let them know. thank you for your responds and good luck!

MsBatt
on 11/2/14 5:29 am

Why, exactly, are you "too nervous" about the DS? The vitamin and mineral malabsorption? Same thing happens with the RNY/gastric bypass, except with the RNY your malabsorption of calories is temporary, but with the DS it's permanent.

It's true that if you go with the Sleeve and can't lose enough weight or have significant regain, revising to the full DS would be the easiest, most effective revision. However, there are a lot of people who start out with an RNY and wind up getting revised to the DS, too. This, however, is a much more complicated revision, and there are only a handful of surgeons who can do it.

Just research 'em all, and don't decide until you're confident you're choosing a surgery that you can live happily with for the rest of your life.

Bubbles314
on 10/31/14 8:46 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Micah,

Up at the top of the page you will find the blue strip, check it out it has all kinds of info to learn about just pick a topic.  Also, the magnify glass helps as well as the forums.

I had RNY, I wanted the sleeve but after testing they found that I had GERD.  GERD is often worse if you get the sleeve.  The Dr told me with the gerd and the amount of weight I wanted to lose (i weighed 341 at my heaviest) I would be better suited for RNY.  I was told I could also maybe get off of some of my BP meds, insulin, cholesteral etc.  The Dr was right.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Micah
on 11/1/14 1:53 am - TAYLORSVILLE, UT

thank you so much! yeah lol I am having trouble figuring out how to navigate this site... I don't even know how to go find the topic I wrote to check my messages/replys with out doing it threw my email. yeah I am having anxiety about the RNY but with as much weight as I want to loose I think it might be the best choice. thank you for responding!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/1/14 5:25 am, edited 11/1/14 5:26 am - OH

Go to the top of the page and click on the magnifying glass then type "sleeve or bypass" (or "VSG or RNY") in the box and you will find literally hundreds of previous discussions on this topic.  (This question comes up multiple times every week, and many of us -- myself included -- have provided lengthy pros and cons on many of the previous posts (and don't have time/inclination to repeat the responses yet again... Not your fault, it is just that there are only so many times we can answer the same question over and over again, especially if it is a long answer)).

My short answer is that, IMO, unless you have a medical reason to select one over the other, the temporary caloric malabsorption of the RNY isn't worth the permanent lack of vitamin absorption... and that if VSG had been an option 7 years ago, I would have chose it instead of RNY. 

Good luck with your decision.

Lora

edited for typos

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.