Pre-Op Curiosity

Jessica44
on 10/30/14 11:03 am

Hi everyone, I have my surgery scheduled for Dec.8th.  I have watched many youtube videos, some very helpful   I noticed there were some people who were getting the VSG surgery that were injecting themselves in their abdomen with something. Is that common to have to do after surgery?  

Racewalker48
on 10/30/14 11:36 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Perhaps they were injecting themselves with a blood thinner (either heparin or enoxaparin/Lovenox)?  That would be my guess. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/30/14 11:54 am - OH

Yes, they are anticoagulant ("blood thinner") injections to help prevent blood clots (from spending too much time inactive after surgery). Many, but not all, surgeons have their patients get them while in the hospital and for a certain number of days after they go home.  The length of time varies by surgeon and by an individual's risk factors for clots, DVTs, embolisms, etc.

It isn't a big deal. I did it twice a day for several months at one point.  The needles are VERY tiny, and you are inserting them into a pinched area of fat, so the needles don't hurt. Some people report that the medication stings if they inject it too quickly, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bikrchk
on 11/5/14 3:46 am

It's to prevent blood clots. They came around with it for me and then decided I didn't need it as I was already walking so much!

Sweat is fat crying

Jessica44
on 11/5/14 1:31 pm

Thank you all for your responses!