Back from Gastric bypass surgery in Puerto Vallarta, some complications/I'm on the other...

Jodyjo145
on 10/30/14 12:10 am - Troy, MI
RNY on 10/20/14 with

Hi friends,

I flew to Puerto Vallarta on Oct 19 and had my surgery on Oct. 20 with Dr. Joya.  I did have complications, as my large intestine closed up due to the trauma of surgery and it caused major fluid all around my diaphragm.  They went in 2 more times, once to open up my large intestine and another time to put in a drainage tube to relieve this.  It had nothing to do with the actual skill of the surgeon, he is awesome, it was simply my body responding.  He said they had this response only 1 other time 5 years ago.  The scariest part for me was I was alone in Puerto Vallarta, although my hb begged to be there with me, but we have kids and his job, etc., and I thought it would be simple, in-out, get on with my life.  They would not approve for me to fly until Tuesday, so I stayed in an amazing Marriott resort and spa, right on the beach, while recovering.  They released me Saturday night, and I had to check in at hospital daily, but by Monday I had some energy and was able to hire a driver to take me around, go in the pool and.... get this, release a baby sea turtle into the ocean, that was so so cool.    

(I will tell you, while in the pool at resort, I watched how thin people eat and it was truly enlightening.  One lady took a bite of a french fry, looked at it again and then set it back on the plate.  Who does that????  LOL!)

What I got out of all this is:

1. I am very brave.  I made it thru, I persevered and I am on the other side.
  2. I am now down 28 lbs from beginning of fasting phase
  3. This is about transforming my relationship to myself and to food
  4. I am worth it
  5. Fear is just fear and all is well 
  6. I am very loved by my family, friends and coworkers
  7. I am blessed

Thank you for reading my long post.  

xoxo,

Jody

Jodyjo145
on 10/30/14 12:12 am - Troy, MI
RNY on 10/20/14 with

Not sure why this is double posting.  Said it didn't go thru the first time.  Sorry.

Cathy W.
on 10/30/14 1:45 am

I'm glad that you're doing well.  Releasing a baby turtle - very cool.  Kind of symbolic for you starting off your new WLS lifestyle.

I really like your list of all you've received so far.  Think how much longer your list will be this time next year!

iloveravens
on 10/30/14 6:04 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Welcome home!  I wish you a speedy recovery :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Bubbles314
on 10/30/14 9:15 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Glad your feeling better.  Wow you did persevere that is quite a list of problems.  Releasing the turtle is so cool, I love Puerto Vallarta.

Sunny, pool side .   I am happy it ended well for you, take care

Jodyjo145
on 10/30/14 10:26 am - Troy, MI
RNY on 10/20/14 with

Thank you for the words of encouragement and well wishes.  Yes, Puerto Vallarta is so beautiful.  It's very rare that I have time alone and it was nice the last 1.5 days being alone, floating in the pool, sitting on the balcony sipping my protein drink watching the parasailers go by.  LOL!  I was very excited to go home though!

This site has been very helpful for me.  I learn something new every day.  I remember when I first found it, I thought, God, I don't want to part of something called obesityhelp.com.  Obesity was like a bad word or something, and I am obese and I am in action transforming that.

Thank you again to all of you for what you do and the support you provide.

Jody

robinreinhardt
on 10/30/14 11:29 am

Jody,

Good for you! I am so proud of you going by yourself. Sorry you had complications but it seems as if you were in good hands. I just was approved for WLS yesterday and I am scared to death. Are you happy that you had it done? Great job on loosing already. Bless you.

Robin

Chilipepper
on 10/31/14 1:14 am

Congratulations!!!!! 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 10/31/14 1:26 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad you were in the hands of a skilled surgeon. Beautiful relaxing scenery and a nice hotel are definitely perks of going to Mexico. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save