Weight fluctuations 5 1/2 months out

Sandie E.
on 10/28/14 4:42 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Hello all!  So...not ranting...just curious as I know my weight will go up and down a little each day and it changes based on so many factors.  I am addicted to the scale and weigh just about every day.  I can not stop.  I like to know where I am.  I have not done measurements though from the beginning.  I was just wondering since I am slowing in my weight loss and have been introducing whole grains/whole wheat into my diet if this is what everyone else has gone through as well.  I just wanted to get some feedback from those that have been through this and/or may be scale addicts as well.  :)  Thank you!!!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Tracy D.
on 10/28/14 5:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As soon as I added grains/wheat products back into my diet my weight loss stopped - period.  I was in maintenance and ready for it to stop.  However, after being off of it for so long I immediately noticed that when I ate wheat I got lots of congestion and my joints started aching - inflammatory responses for sure!   Eating foods that create inflammation in your body isn't good.  

The other negative to adding grains/wheat for me is that I'm an un-medicated Type 2 diabetic and these foods cause my blood sugar to spike like crazy.  That's bad because my pancreas dumps a **** ton of insulin into my body and that automatically triggers my liver to start storing calories as fat - whether they are healthy calories or not.  

So, moral of this story is this:   if you've added wheat/grain back and you notice your weight loss has stopped or slowed down, there's probably a good reason for that - the wheat/grain products.  If you want to maintain your weight and don't have to worry about blood sugar issues, carry on.  But if you want to continue to lose at a good rate, get this stuff out of your diet.  

My two cents...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sandie E.
on 10/28/14 6:00 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Ok...so I am not really noticing any side effects of eating the wheat/grains, but I am only allowed to have 1/4 of my total food intake all day so it is not a lot.  I wouldn't say it is stopping but it is definitely slower and fluctuating more.  The dietician is the one that told me I should start adding back in.  I don't know if it is good to have none at all though.  And in regards to sugars, I don't have diabetes but I can understand where that would affect you as well.  What do you have in place of it, if anything?

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Tracy D.
on 10/28/14 6:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I do 100% rye Wasa crackers for a bit of fiber but most of my fiber comes from nuts, seeds and veggies.  I'm not a Paleo person but you can totally exist on dense protein and veggies with no grains whatsoever.  Eating grains/wheat is what got me to 250 lbs. so I'm not a huge fan.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

momjan
on 10/29/14 5:43 am - Canada

I agree Tracy.  I figure I don't have a lot of room in there anymore anyways, so why waste the space with unnecessary carbs.   So I occasionally have Kavli bread, but on the whole avoid breads, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. and save my carbs for veggie carbs........  I'm not worried what any nut/dietician said as I researched and read a lot while post op and found because there were so many different opinions from so many doctors and nuts that it really is more a personal decision........

gmantek
on 10/28/14 10:54 pm

My nutritionist told me the same thing a few weeks ago at my 6 month appointment.  Bread is a slippery slope for me, so I'm ignoring her on this one.  I think it's probably wise advice you've been given to stay off until we get to maintenance and then rethink it.  I believe there is really no downside to keeping the grains/wheats out of our diets. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/28/14 6:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I do not eat any grains or wheats.  Any time that I have, my weight loss stops completely.  Just my two cents.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat