Anesthesia Concern

troose310
on 10/28/14 12:12 am

Has anyone on here had any sort of bariatric surgery without general anesthesia?  Like can regional and local be used in lue of general? I am a little leery and hesitant to be put completely under because my family has a history of anesthetic problems.  I have been under local anesthesia and I was ok, but I requested the least amount available.  I really want to start the process of the VSG, but if general anesthesia is the only way to go, I am not sure that I can get this done.  Someone please help...

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/28/14 1:40 am

What type of problems are you referring to regarding anesthesia?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

emelar
on 10/28/14 1:42 am - TX

You need to address this to your surgeon/anesthesiologist.  An epidural is the only possible alternative that I can think of, and I don't know if it would be sufficient for this type of surgery.

The procedures are relatively short.  My sleeve surgery was 45 minutes.  I assume the RNY or DS runs  longer, but not significantly.  If you've been put under without issues before, and you let your anesthesiologist know of whatever family issues you have, it shouldn't be a problem.

56sunShine14
on 10/28/14 1:52 am

My mother has an old history of not waking well after general. And on my first knee replace, they gave the anesthesia based on my weight which was wrong because I am sensitive to all medications.  Meaning, I do not require the amount that is measured according to my weight but take LESS of it on all counts.

What you want to do is to tell both your surgeon and whichever anesthesiologist will be taking care of you that you have a family history of not coming out of anesthesia well.  This helps them to determine what to use and how much.  And keep in mind that even if your family has this history, it doesn't mean you will.

Good Luck on your journey.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

ShawnaMC
on 10/28/14 2:12 am

My sleeve surgery was an hour. I had to have an appointment with my anesthesiologist before my surgery though. They ask you all those kinds of questions to see what they need to address. They don't want this to go wrong, so they are super careful and want to take every precaution. I usually get really nauseated and sick after waking from anesthesia, but I didn't this time. A friend of mine did. We're all different, even you from your family. Just let them know and your anesthesiologist will take care of you!

Instagram

troose310
on 10/28/14 2:42 am

Thank you all for the replies!  When I said my family has problems, I should have been more clear.  My grandfather was allergic to general anesthetic, basically, if he was given it he would have died.  That being said, I have always had a fear in the back of my mind about receiving it.  I am not sure if there are tests that can be taken to see if I have the same allergies or not.  I just don't want to go through all the steps and then speak to the anesthesiologist and have him tell me there needs to be general anesthesia administered.  When you first apply for WLS, do you meet with an anesthesiologist right away or how long does that normally take?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/28/14 3:47 am

Anesthesia has come a long way since your grandfather's day.

You don't meet with the anesthesiologist until right before your surgery. Bring it up with your surgeon. I think you are likely scaring yourself needlessly.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Valerie G.
on 10/28/14 4:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I had a c-section completely via epidural and was awake through the entire thing, so I suppose you could do it. I've never heard of anyone having wls that way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes